Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Please help! is it obd1 or obd2? How to know

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Nieuwsma

Bob Nieuwsma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Eureka Mt

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:34 PM

Please help! I am going to do a 2.5 to 2.2 swap, I found a 1995 2.2 out of an Impreza. AT, EGR, dual port exhaust. The guy at the wrecking yard says it is a late model and is an obd2 which would make it perfect. How can I know for sure? I am going to drive a long ways to get this engine because it only has 96k on it. I have been told that only legacy`s switched to obd2 in 1995 but then another kind gentleman told me that is not true. How do I know for sure?? vin# on engine? vin# from the car? or are there markings on the engine itself? I am new to all this Subaru stuff, Because I bought a 1996 outback with a 2.5 DOHC Need I say more?  Thank you for reading and helping.

#2 Olnick

Olnick

Ol' Subaru Guy

• Members
  • 2,543 posts
  • Honolulu HI

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:52 PM

I feel your plight, Bob.  If the guy at the yard is pleasant and cooperative and if the engine is still in the Imprezza (or if the car's body still exists)--ask him to go see if it has an OBD2 port!  (It should be under the dash, to the left of the steering column.)

Simplistic I know--but that's how my mind works!

Good luck.

Edited by Olnick, 17 February 2014 - 03:52 PM.

#3 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  • Texas

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:52 PM

OBDII would definitely be on an emissions sticker under the hood or somewhere in the engine bay.

similar to this - Code%20Re27.jpg

maybe someone else will know a better clue.

#4 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,422 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:09 PM

Yes, check the emissions sticker under the hood if the engine is still in the car. If not, the only way to tell will be to look at the connectors for the main engine harness.
Luckily, the whole harness comes off easily and most of the plugs should be the same on the sensors. So even if the harness isn't right, you can swap your harness off of your original manifold.

#5 Bob Nieuwsma

Bob Nieuwsma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Eureka Mt

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:28 PM

Yes, check the emissions sticker under the hood if the engine is still in the car. If not, the only way to tell will be to look at the connectors for the main engine harness.
Luckily, the whole harness comes off easily and most of the plugs should be the same on the sensors. So even if the harness isn't right, you can swap your harness off of your original manifold.

So are you saying that if it is an obd1 I can take the harness off my 96 2.5DOHC and put it on the obd1 intake?

#6 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,187 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:48 PM

worst case you would have to swap in an ej22 OBD2 intake manifold .

the ej25 engine harness will probably work as log as the sensors are all the same.

a visual comparison should be enough.

but there is a good chance that the engine will drop in and run.

most of the OBD2 differences are in the computer,

not the sensors.

but i'm not 100% sure of that.

the cam and crank sensors are the same.

and the MAF,

not sure about the TPS.

the other thing to watch out for is the EGR.

the ej25 cars of the 90s need EGR.

so your replacement engine will need to have EGR.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users