Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Another radiator question.

radiator cooling plastic vs all metal

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tofutti

Tofutti

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Cabot, Vermont

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:09 PM

..And probably one that has been asked before, but after a couple hours of searching here, I haven't found an answer.

1992 Loyale has original all-metal radiator that actually doesn't leak, but the fins are mostly corroded and have flaked away, thus not cooling well. Does alright most of the time, but pulling a hill during the summer requires full heat on to keep the temp in-check. This is a fairly low mileage engine and I'm not willing to let this slide and risk it anymore.

I'm finding both types of replacement radiators available: All-metal (CSF Model #933), and Aluminum-core with plastic tanks (APDI/ProRad Model #8010935).

I know there are pros and cons for each type, and I've read various opinions on other forums, but I'd rather take advice from a more vehicle-specific point of view. There is only a $40 price difference that I'm not terribly concerned about.

Thoughts? Opinions? Experiences? What would YOU do, or what have you done?

Thanks.

#2 ruparts

ruparts

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 563 posts
  • dallas, tx.

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:06 PM

my opinion is to use the all metal, brass copper and find the 2 rows of  cooling tubes version since you are buying new ,   not all places have them , but they are minimally more expensive and  almost double the cooling capacity of the single row.     

#3 suprjohn

suprjohn

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 260 posts
  • North Platte, NE

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:23 PM

I did the plastic from rock auto since I'm broke and cheap. So far, so good, though I've not driven it much. This was part of a general cooling system overhaul, and so far my '89 DL runs VERY cool. Almost too cool. But summer's comin'  :-)

John

#4 Sdam87

Sdam87

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Claremont New Hampshire

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:12 AM

I gotta get a rat for my car (same year as yours) This is what Im going to get/do. Granted it's a single row http://www.fcpimport...tor-45181-ga690

#5 silverback

silverback

New User

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:59 PM

What ruparts said:  'double row'.  Also use a Subaru thermostat. The pellet is larger than aftermarket units.  Check the thermoswitch for your fan.

#6 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:13 AM

Copper core is superior in all ways except cost and weight to aluminum core.  Dual-row core is hard to find, generally need to search on a TURBO model, and only provides perhaps 50% more heat-transfer capacity (diminishing returns on multi-core radiators). 

#7 silverback

silverback

New User

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:55 PM

NorthWet is spot on about the 'TURBO' part of the search.  Assuming EA82, I believe all flavors of radiators for EA82's will fit into all EA82 platforms.  An aid in searching maybe;  4WD, TURBO, AT for a double row unit.  Perhaps a 1989, 4WD, TURBO, AT may work.

Good luck with the search.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users