Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another radiator question.

..And probably one that has been asked before, but after a couple hours of searching here, I haven't found an answer.

1992 Loyale has original all-metal radiator that actually doesn't leak, but the fins are mostly corroded and have flaked away, thus not cooling well. Does alright most of the time, but pulling a hill during the summer requires full heat on to keep the temp in-check. This is a fairly low mileage engine and I'm not willing to let this slide and risk it anymore.

I'm finding both types of replacement radiators available: All-metal (CSF Model #933), and Aluminum-core with plastic tanks (APDI/ProRad Model #8010935).

I know there are pros and cons for each type, and I've read various opinions on other forums, but I'd rather take advice from a more vehicle-specific point of view. There is only a $40 price difference that I'm not terribly concerned about.

Thoughts? Opinions? Experiences? What would YOU do, or what have you done?

Thanks.

my opinion is to use the all metal, brass copper and find the 2 rows of  cooling tubes version since you are buying new ,   not all places have them , but they are minimally more expensive and  almost double the cooling capacity of the single row.     

• Like 1

NorthWet is spot on about the 'TURBO' part of the search.  Assuming EA82, I believe all flavors of radiators for EA82's will fit into all EA82 platforms.  An aid in searching maybe;  4WD, TURBO, AT for a double row unit.  Perhaps a 1989, 4WD, TURBO, AT may work.

Good luck with the search.