Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What's a late 70's subaru FE worth?

I might have a chance to get one for free.... except it's 700 miles from me, so wondering if I could resell it to be worth the hassle of picking it up.  It's a late 70's subaru FE coupe, no rust or bad dents, missing the windshield, ran when it was parked about 10 years ago, but needed brakes, apparently.  Interior is not great shape since it's been sitting outdoors with no windshield for a while (in Arizona).  Wondering if this would be worth 5 or 6 hundred maybe, to be worth the hassle of going to get it.

Z

Yes... But the one in Australia has been for sale (on various sites) for a very long time so not a very good example as it never seems to sell. An indication it is priced too high, me thinks!

As Bantum mentioned you have to buy on condition and it is rust that usually kills these models. If you check it out make sure you check all the metal under the dash, move the sound proofing if you have too but make sure you check it!

Edited by Leeroy

I'd be one of the very few people that would pay $500-600 for an FE in the condition you mention. I have a windshield and a good amount of interior pieces. What color interior?

Depending on location it's going to cost me from a few hundred to $1k for transport.

But an FE should make money back in gas savings , not that matters much when buying a vintage novelty car. But I would use it often unlike a lot of people.

I think it's a hard sell. Most people aren't going to pay $25 for a 40 year old economy car that needs a ton of work (and it does need a ton of work. It has been parked for 10 years). But then there is us- we see value in these things, but we're a bunch of tight asses too. I would pay $500 for the rust free shell. Not because I think it's "worth" that much, but because I know how rare it is and I want it. Did that make sense? We talked about this car years ago Zeke, Do you really think it's worth a three day round trip road trip and a lot of work to turn a few hundred bucks? I would do it, cause I want one, but it doesn't make sense as something to do to make a few bucks. just sayin. But if you do end up getting it, let me know and maybe we can work something out. Moosens - not trying to cut you out, I'll step aside to your dibs, something tells me you would do a bit of all-right with this car!

• 2 weeks later...