Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 2000 Legacy Outback AWD's automatic tranmission is having an issue once in a while. After stopping or gliding to a near speed below 2mph or so , the car does does not accelerate immediately upon the the gas pedal being depressed. After two or three seconds, the transmission jerks into gear and goes on its merry way. This happens occasionally, but I have not pinned down any specifics (i.e. cold or hot engine, time driven, ect). Sometimes, this happens after shifting from Park to Drive. I just count one one thousand, two one thousand and the tranmission engages and . I thought it might be a winter thing since I purchased the car in October. But, come spring, and the car still does it every one in a while.

I do mostly city driving in Drive with lots of stops. I wonder if t might be the lock-up convertor and if "3" might prevent this? I checked the ATF level and it is a the poper level. Would changing the ATF and Filter help the pressure level within the AT at lower rpms and idle?

I have a frien that state, Oh yeh mine does that every now and then." Do I have to live with this? or is there a fix?

I don't know that a fluid and filter change will eliminate your symptoms, but it can't hurt.

Subaru seems to have contradicting recommendations on the tranny filter and fluid. I have read some places that the filter is a lifetime item. In my owners manual it says to replace it every 30k. IMHO if one runs a tranny filter for the life of the tranny, the life is going to be reduced. I change the filter and fluid once a year or about every 30k miles. The filter is expensive at around $30, but cheap insurance none-the-less.

Our car is at 155k miles and has never done that. It does have a little bit of a shift flare from 2nd to 3rd and it is starting to hit 2nd gear kind of hard on the 1-2 upshift once in a while.

How many miles on your car? What is the maintenance history?

About the filters. The filter inside of the transmission itself is never supposed to be changed, it's supposedly good for the life of the transmission. The external filter however should be replaced every 30k or whatever the manual recommends.

a quick question on tranny filters... can anyone tell me what they're made of? the filters themselves. i ask because i recently pulled the external filter off and i turned the filter upside down to drain out the fluid and i found a couple little pieces of a porcelin<sp?> material but i'm not sure if it actually came out of the filter itself or was a piece of something else that was already in the drain pan... i'm waiting for an external filter to arrive and was wondering perhaps i should drop the tranny fluid pan and check the internal filter while i have it drained...

I changed the tranny filter on my '02 last summer, and had such a difficult time getting it off that it was practically in two pieces by the end of it all. After the usual philips screwdriver through the can just wasn't giving the torque (the screwdriver was bending) I ended up hammering a 15" long rat-tail file through it, and had tranny fluid running down my forearm into my armpit by the time all was said and done.

I've never before owned a single car such as this one where so many simple maintenance tasks somehow suddenly become extremely difficult mid-job.

Anyway... :rolleyes::clap: by the time I got the filter off, the guts were hanging out and it looked like a standard pleated paper style filter, although the media may be tweaked for tranny duty. I don't recall seeing any ceramic, but I wasn't looking real close on account of being both aggravated and relieved.

My 2000 Legacy Outback AWD's automatic tranmission is having an issue once in a while. After stopping or gliding to a near speed below 2mph or so , the car does does not accelerate immediately upon the the gas pedal being depressed. After two or three seconds, the transmission jerks into gear and goes on its merry way. This happens occasionally, but I have not pinned down any specifics (i.e. cold or hot engine, time driven, ect). Sometimes, this happens after shifting from Park to Drive. I just count one one thousand, two one thousand and the tranmission engages and . I thought it might be a winter thing since I purchased the car in October. But, come spring, and the car still does it every one in a while.

I do mostly city driving in Drive with lots of stops. I wonder if t might be the lock-up convertor and if "3" might prevent this? I checked the ATF level and it is a the poper level. Would changing the ATF and Filter help the pressure level within the AT at lower rpms and idle?

I have a frien that state, Oh yeh mine does that every now and then." Do I have to live with this? or is there a fix?

You might want to do a search of this USMB archive, I swear not less than three weeks ago someone posted a symptom that was exactly the same as you describe. I don't recall the name of the thread tho.