Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SUbarus are sinkhole tough

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,562 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:22 AM

Car plunges head first into hole after driveway crumbles, swallowing Long Island woman

A 69-year-old Long Island woman was swallowed up by a hole in her home's driveway when the pavement crumbled beneath her car without warning.

"There was no sound. The car just slid into the ground," Gayle Sorrentino of Rockville Centre said of the frightful experience Friday afternoon.

"The car went in at like a straight angle," she described the estimated 15-foot head first plunge. "I pulled in looking at my beautiful backyard and then I was looking at a mound of dirt.

Incredibly the retiree, who was returning from an acupuncture appointment NBC reported and parking where she normally does, found herself uninjured but trapped.

Outside her windows she nervously watched as dirt steadily slid in around her making her fear that at any moment, it could get bigger.

Within minutes of her 911 call from her cell phone, the fire department was at the scene with a ladder at her side window, police confirmed.

By late Friday evening the immediate cause of the hole wasn't known. Police believe it is a cesspool and its top simply caved, said Rockville Officer Julie Grilli.

"It's very out of the norm," she told the Daily News. Grilli called it the first incident of its kind for the area.

As a precaution Sorrentino's driveway was cordoned off while sand was filled in.

As for her car, a white Subaru Outback, she exclaimed, "It looks perfectly fine!"

"They were able to drive it, down the driveway and park it on the street, so it's functional," she gushed. "It's like a little miracle."

Sorrentino, who described herself as standing straight up in the vertically-propped vehicle, was then safely able to climb out.

sinkhole22n-4-web.jpg

#2 heartless

heartless

Do YOU Subaru?

• Members
  • 2,678 posts
  • Central Wisconsin

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:28 AM

-_-

Edited by heartless, 22 February 2014 - 06:06 PM.

#3 espey_16

espey_16

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Tenino Wa

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:02 AM

That's probably the 5th sink hole I've read about in the news in 2 weeks.

#4 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,562 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:08 AM

They are really rare here. If it happens, like this one, it is an old cesspool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users