Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I was toying w/ a Pontiac Aztec on the Interstate yesterday, we were doing about 90 mph. All of the sudden rpm's just gave out, like a govenor switch was activated. I don't think these ea81t's have govenors, do they? Anyway after the cut-out the lifters started rapping & the turbo screams at positive boost. What happened? Did my oil pump take a crap. I still have power, its begging for oil though. Has this happened to anyone? I hope I can get it right before Carlisle. HELP............Oh, by the way, a bottle of octane boost on top of 93 does wonders for accelerations.

Eh.......you cant. thats the problem. My GL-10 doesnt have an oil pressure guage, i hate it. I will be installing the hardware for it before the engine goes in.

I would change the oil, and see how it does after that. I am thinking there is some trash in the system or something...

I was thinking that too. When I replaced dead lifter last year I installed a regular ea81 head gasket. parts of the gasket hung down into oil passage. Any recommendations on flush ect......................?

Replace the pump gaskets - takes 30 minutes, and only cost's $8. This will also allow you to inspect the pump itself. If it's bad, then get another pump at the JY, and use your seal kit on that one....

The Oil pressure sending unit will screw right in from a car that has one, then you just have to wire it to a guage. Plenty of aftermarket guages availible that you could plumb in too.

You also still have an idiot light for pressure - did it come on? My wagon has a digi-dash and so also does not have an OP guage. The light started comming on at idle (1000 RPM's) or lower, so I knew it was time for a gasket kit. After the gasket kit, no more idiot light at any RPM's. Of course, mine's not a turbo, so no harm came of the low OP for the short time it was this way....

GD

I guarantee that it has an OP idiot light. It's hard to see if it's not lit. It's probably at the bottom of your tach. The switch for the light is screwed into the side of the pump.

As for testing the pump - there's procedures in the FSM for it, but a loss of pressure like you describe would indicate a pretty massive failure, or a blown seal. The exact procedure involves checking some clearances with a feeler guage, and checking for flatness on the sealing surfaces, and the length of some internal springs and such. I don't have it in front of me right now, but look in any EA81 manual and it should cover it.

GD

Oh...I wasn't aware of that. Come to think of it, sometime when I start the car I'll see a light flash under the tach, but I think it said STOP lamp, I thought a bulb was going out. I'll flush & change oil first...if that doesn't do it I'll check-out the pump. Thanks guys.

Hmm i think at 90mph that perhaps the Aztec's aura of overall crappiness may have somehow blurred over and came into contact with your rig. Now you have to get her out in the woods to purify her. i once asked someone why they bought an Aztec... their main reason was the "cute tent thing that pops out of the back".. stay away from dem dam aztecs... they're cursed man....

Good one bluetrain....I think I pissed him off when I passed him cuz then he immediately passed me, then the chase was on. I followed him at 80-90 mph for about 20 miles, then I passed him & thats when I cut-out. It was fun doing 90 not worrying about speeding.