Ultimate Subaru Message Board

length difference of EA82 5MT DR box to XT AWD 5MT SR ?

jono

From crude measurements taken, there appears to be a difference in total casing length of the two boxes, Whether that involves total length between the rearmost of the rear output shaft to the front of the bellhousing casing I am not sure.

Has anyone done a direct replacement - toss the PT 4WD box, fitting in the AWD SR and not had tailshaft issues - retaining same tailshaft? Maybe in an MY EA81 to be specific ?

I currently have a PT 5MT 4WD DR in my Brumby and use the two piece tailshaft that accompanied the box from an EA82 L Series wagon, and can't recall if it was a close tight fit - if it was, the AWD box may be a problem.

I think the front half of tailshafts of XT, manual and auto EA82 4WDs were different lengths, just unsure if any combo is going to work or major cash needs be spent on slicing a bit out of a tailshaft. The box intended to go in is of an unknown to me quantity.

Claims from the wrecker that sold it to the guy I got it off were that it was nice. Since discover it was high miler, and subjected to a joy flight :(

Edited by jono

Should be the same length if they both came from EA vehichles. (PT4wd and FT4wd w/Diff lock)

If the AWD box is from an EJ car (AWD not difflock) then no, the AWD is longer by a few inches.

Either way the FT4wd box will need 23 spine stubs from the PT to work with Bruby axles.

Edited by Gloyale

I really need to get the boxes in a better place to measure more accurately then with this news. Hard to believe an engineer makes a different version of a box the same - they didn't make the auto the same length as the manual box did they ? I am going the 25 spline inner joint DOJ option on the Brumby front CV shafts as I have the bits kicking about. If the AWD box with centre diff lock turns out an expensive mistake and full of noise I have a 25 spline 5MT 4WD DR to take its place. Really don't want to have to modify a tailshaft to find out the AWD is a bad thingj

I really need to get the boxes in a better place to measure more accurately then with this news. Hard to believe an engineer makes a different version of a box the same - they didn't make the auto the same length as the manual box did they ?

Automatics are longer.

But any 5spd that came in an EA car......be it PT or FT4wd, S/R or D/R are the same length.

The EJ AWD 5spds are longer by about 2"

I've done this. My 86 GL-10 S/R PB 4WD turbo wagon is pimping an 91 Xt-6 awd DCCD box. Wiring is different, but I haven't got that hooked up. The shifter solenoids are "backwards" from where the hoses hang. So basically open center until the button is pressed. Also the rear transmission mounts are different as the 6's cradle is closer to the ej stuff. They mount totally differently to the case, BUT! The holes are there. I just used the wagons mounts on the Xt case. Everything else lined up and worked. Easy straight forward swap.

I've done this. My 86 GL-10 S/R PB 4WD turbo wagon is pimping an 91 Xt-6 awd DCCD box.

Diff lock is not DCCD.....but I digress........

. Also the rear transmission mounts are different as the 6's cradle is closer to the ej stuff. They mount totally differently to the case, BUT! The holes are there. I just used the wagons mounts on the Xt case.

He's in Australia.....I don't think they got the XT6......his would be from a 4cyl XT.....possibly turbo......but the rear mounts should be the same as the PT boxes......

I've got a '87-1/2 XT 4cyl turbo 5spd difflock trans here at my shop.....it's almost Identical to the PT boxes, .....same mounts.....same length.

• 3 weeks later...

That is correct, am in Australia and is an AWD EA82T gearbox I have - single range with a big clanger of a vacuum thing for centre diff locking.

I have just wrestled it out of the vault, backed it up against a wall so the tin cup protector of rear output is square on the 'wall' let's call it, jacked up a bit under the back of the box to get it square ona nd level for measuring.

I get 735mm from rear of protector cup to mating face of casting at bellhousing, take off the 3mm the cup protruds beyond the end of the output shaft

732mm for the AWD box.

Last time I measured things was not this precise.

Before I can do this box in my Brumby I need to knock up some front shafts with 25 spline DOJs.The Brumby currently runs a 23 spline EA82 5 speed DR box and EA82 two piece tailshaft. I have a pair of one piece tailshafts meant to be for the 5 speed DR in Brumby without centre bearing mount.

One shaft is longer than the other ?? One shaft is claimed to have a vibration :(