Ultimate Subaru Message Board

to all torque bind experts.....!

I have experienced torque bind before

Currently have it on my 96OB wagon --took rear drive shaft out till my mechanic

comes back from florida...and we will attempt it

The few times I have felt it....it was like this:  a real feeling of braking while doing 360's on dry pavement

Also....the tires would make a definite sound as they turn  at different rpms.....you would hear the tread fighting against the pavement

With sand/grit on the pavement and you would hear the tires slipping

So today...I bought a sweet 95 legacy L 4 dr with 123,000--automatic 2.2

But, it has something that seems like TB...but it does not feel or sound like what I have experience b4

in BJs parking lot,,,,,,doing 360's the tires really made no fighting sounds against the pavement,,,,it didn't even really feel like it was braking

It was odd....I will try my best to describe the sound/feel

Imagine a door whose hinges where not oiled...and the door could not swing smoothly

Instead, when you start pushing it---swinging it......it jumps 1/8"...and then another 1/8 and another and another etc...thru the whole swing it like a fine "ratcheting" sound

I don't know it that helps or makes it more confusing

All tires were same brand...tread seemed fairly close altho fronts definitely had some alignment issue wear

Seemed inflated ok ...but my eye is not a gauge

Tranny fluid smelled ok..looked ok...but not just changed

I put $200 down (2200 total)

I HAD to buy this car...its clean!--and my sons 96 2.2 has 235k on it....the vintage and motor are fantastic

I forgot when I saw it today about pulling the fuse...I assume the 95 has the FWD fuse?

Would someone explain again what it means?

1--pull fuse and nothing changes?

2--pull fuse and TB disappears?

thanks guys

I wont have the car for a few days...

so what could happen when I put the fuse in?

and what does each result lead me to?

my 96 had 16 AT light flashes...and then I did the diagnosis and got the code for Duty C

There were no AT flashes...altho...I did not look to see if the light was functioning....

Is there one of these lights on the 95?

I wont have the car for a few days...

so what could happen when I put the fuse in?

With the fuse (any size BTW) installed in the FWD plug under the hood, the FWD light on the dash will come on and the car will only have front wheel drive, the rear will not get any power (unless the duty C is bad in which case TB would be very apparent).

and what does each result lead me to?

If the noise you describe goes away the problem may be from the rearward part of the drive train. Have you considered a bad Universal joint?

They can bang in a type of rhythm you described. If you can have someone walk along side the car while slowly doing circles you maybe able to localize the noise.

There were no AT flashes...altho...I did not look to see if the light was functioning....

Is there one of these lights on the 95?

Yes there is and it should light with the fuse installed

when you get the car,

put the fuse in and see if the symptoms go away,

and the FWD lights up in red on the dash.

if yes, the duty C works and you have mild TB.

change the fluid and chances are it will improve.

my 95 had mild TB for 90k miles until the trans failed.

i never serviced the auto trans. (dumb a$$)

finally reverse failed.

change the fluid.

Edited by johnceggleston

okay men.....slapped plates on the car and drove home...30 min drive

That car is sweet...smooth shifting, quiet...you just cannot find the mid 90s legacy 2.2L with low miles...I am excited...my sons 96 has 231,000 and still running strong

Anyway....I put the fuse in and.....all symptoms stopped...did 360s just fine

Of course I am a little disappointed...I'd rather have a u-joint issue than torque bind

I am not putting it on the road for perhaps 2 months,,,,,but my first things will be tires, alignment and several tranny flushes

will report back at that time

Any additional thoughts will be much appreciated

If none of this fixes it....what is the cure?  (since the AT light is not flashing...it's not the Duty C right?)

Since the symptoms went away when you put in the fuse, the duty C solenoid is OK.  The FWD light should also have come on.  But in any case the solenoid is working.

You can drain/fill the fluid at least 3 times.  It may reduce or eliminate the TB.  It didn't help with my 95 however.  To fix it, you have to swap the transfer case, maybe from your other car?

one other thing to check is the tires,

all 4 need to be the same,

brand

size

tread

wear

air pressure

mismatched tires can cause binding.

in theory you could use different tires but they need to be within 1/4 inch in CIRCUMFERENCE.

but different tires will probably wear differently, so the problem could return with time / miles.

Edited by johnceggleston

Have you localized the "ratcheting" sound you mentioned?

If the noise went away with the FWD fuse it could be because as you do the 360º turns without the AWD working it can take stress off of the drive shaft and rear u-joints.

You could still have a bad U-Joint on the back end of the car.

thanks all

Yes the FWD light came on

I have not localized the racheting sound...car is parked with no insurance...maybe when weather breaks I will try listening at the cul de sac....any tips on how to diagnose?

Hang out the back door near the ground while someone else does donuts?

I will do the flush when the time comes...and tires? well the fronts have some side wear...but center of tread looks fairly comparable to rears

side observation---Steering wheel is cocked to almost 1 o'clock....yet the car is steady at 65mph...does not wander...

With the FWD fuse in (or a jumper wire), there should be no power going to the rear tires, so not sure how you can be doing donuts? FWD running in circles won't donut unless you are pulling the e-brake and that's different. Over/under steer will also be very different between FWD and AWD, or at least it is in my wagon. Feels like a completely different car between the 2.

thanks all

Yes the FWD light came on

I have not localized the racheting sound...car is parked with no insurance...maybe when weather breaks I will try listening at the cul de sac....any tips on how to diagnose?

Hang out the back door near the ground while someone else does donuts?

I will do the flush when the time comes...and tires? well the fronts have some side wear...but center of tread looks fairly comparable to rears

side observation---Steering wheel is cocked to almost 1 o'clock....yet the car is steady at 65mph...does not wander...

What part of NY?

I'm here all day, every day, doing the job-search thing and could use a diversion...

Have had good luck using the clutchpack from svx to upgrade the out backs and legacys awd was a stronger pack with better steels and clutchs

Do you set the stack height (change the shim washers) to match the  SVX specs or the legacy/ob spec, or has it worked out well just swapping and not setting it?