Ultimate Subaru Message Board

center console wiring harness, extra plug?

odie

85 Brat...the wiring bundle that goes to the center console...4 plugs total...1 is the light for the ashtray.  2 are for the OEM radio.

the 4th plug went no where...I'm guessing optional seperate tape deck???  has 7 wires going to it.post-49716-0-05034600-1393279060_thumb.jpg

power windows on an old Brat????  well it does have the cruise control too which I thought was kinda over board on an 80's economy brand.

I also have a rear? defroster switch, which has power to it...but there is no rear defroster???

trick is to find the other end of the plug that the relay attached to.  Prob under near the fuse box.  I've got several un-plugged plugs... but my brat seems to have had some hack jobs in the past...or one universal harness for all models and option possibilities (gl, dl, wagon, etc)?  Often it's cheaper to manufacture one "all-in-one" harness.

It's pretty much like that, the gl's that I've seen have a pretty standard body front body harness and dash harness, the dl's are the same way, from dash back it varies depending on body type.

So in theory my 88 DL should have the wiring/plugs already for power options (mirrors, locks, windows) then?  If so, then sign me up for those upgrades :D

Edited by TheWanderer

Factory manuals come in handy with some of this stuff and having cars that came with everything helps too find out where stuff goes. I remember seeing a link to a factory manual download on here maybe some has it and will chime in. There are a lot of test plugs on the harness to test voltage and resistant so there will be a few that don't go anywhere.