Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What oil are you running in your 5 speed?

I'm just changing the 5 speed in my 97 Impreza sport with another from a 99' and was curious what most members are running for oil?  The funny thing is the transmission I'm switching out didn't seem to start acting up until I changed the oil to synthetic gear oil, perhaps a coincidence but it has me thinking all the same.  Recently I've had someone tell me that they actually run diesel engine oil in the transmission in the winter.......   we don't typically get any colder than -20 celcius (-4 fahrenheit) normally -10 C or  14 F    ........thoughts?

most importantly keep it clean and new.

I'm using the basic 75 90 gear oil we keep on tap at the shop for rear diffs.

you can run ATF for 500 miles or so to clean things up.

mines a Loyale and an XT but the internals are basically the same.

I run 80w90 Supertech (Walmart brand) in both of mine and it gives me the best results. Supposedly the best of the best is Subarus Extra-S gear oil, but its $15+ a quart. Walmart stuff is about $13 a gallon.

I have run 75w-90 synthetic before and had issues with shifting when cold and when hot.

I run Subaru extra S fluid.  But I get it wholesale and its about the same cost as regular 75W90 for me.  I love it.  I really love that its SUBARU oil and it actually does seem to make my transmissions shift a little easier and smoother.  

many people have problems with synthetic as the synchronizers don't work well.

the problem is, the tranny shares with a diff and getting a fluid that plays well with both has caused problems for some people.

a name brand 'dino' GL-5 'should' work well. If it doesn't, you could try a 'cocktail' as in this huge thread at NASIOC; http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=920674

In my WRX at present I have Redline Lightweight Shockproof. It was great for a coupla seasons but seems to have broken down now. Not sure what I'll try next - kind want to look on the drainplug's magnet.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan
  • Like 1

many people have problems with synthetic as the synchronizers don't work well.

the problem is, the tranny shares with a diff and getting a fluid that plays well with both has caused problems for some people.

a name brand 'dino' GL-5 'should' work well. If it doesn't, you could try a 'cocktail' as in this huge thread at NASIOC; http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=920674

Thanks for the thread on that cocktail, just one question...... 5MT transmission is which one?

Thanks for the thread on that cocktail, just one question...... 5MT transmission is which one?

well, that is usually just shorthand for 5 speed stickshift (MT = Manual Transmission) - but, in 06 they supposedly made a change to the 1st gear synchro so, if you need some specific info on a specific year - maybe someone else will know. The older 5 speeds are the ones that can sometimes be a little more finicky i think.

If you have a problem, fluid will not fix the the transmission - but the right fluid (which could be different for a Canadian than - say - a citizen of Florida) can help reduce balky shifting. Other items wear too, like the shifter bushings.

the additive packages, and other parameters for engine oil are probably a lot different than for GL-5 .I probably wouldn't use diesel engine oil except as a last resort.

maybe start by trying a name brand non-synth. GL-5 in the proper viscosity for your climate or spring for the Subaru Extra-S .

The rear diff should do fine on synth, non-synth or Extra-S - but you likely don't need to spend the money for Extra-S for the rear diff. So, drain the transmission into a clean container and use some of that lightly-used synth for the rear diff to reduce the loss.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

well, that is usually just shorthand for 5 speed stickshift (MT = Manual Transmission) - but, in 06 they supposedly made a change to the 1st gear synchro so, if you need some specific info on a specific year - maybe someone else will know. The older 5 speeds are the ones that can sometimes be a little more finicky i think.

If you have a problem, fluid will not fix the the transmission - but the right fluid (which could be different for a Canadian than - say - a citizen of Florida) can help reduce balky shifting. Other items wear too, like the shifter bushings.

the additive packages, and other parameters for engine oil are probably a lot different than for GL-5 .I probably wouldn't use diesel engine oil except as a last resort.

maybe start by trying a name brand non-synth. GL-5 in the proper viscosity for your climate or spring for the Subaru Extra-S .

The rear diff should do fine on synth, non-synth or Extra-S - but you likely don't need to spend the money for Extra-S for the rear diff. So, drain the transmission into a clean container and use some of that lightly-used synth for the rear diff to reduce the loss.

5MT  of course it is 5 manual transmission  :blink: !!!  

Since I'm in a small town and have limited choices when it comes to buying oil I think my options will be regular gear oil 80W90, some synthetic options and gear oil with posi additive......  seems like 75W90 is what I should look for, what about posi trac additives?

So after making my trip to the parts store, my choices are 75 90 synthetic or 80 90 non both Castrol products...... or they also had some European brand 'specially formulated for imports' at 30$ a litre !!!!  Yikes.....            Given those are my two choices what would be the best bet?  I don't mind the extra cost of the synthetic, I just want the one that will perform best.

OK, punchy, here's an experiment, save the oil from your old trans, you said it IS syntehtic and seems to cause problems right?

Put that oil in the new transmission. If it works OK for you, get the 75/90 synth. if you want fresh oil. It may work for you. Evidently not everyone experiences problems and this way, the test shouldn't cost you much extra $$$. Or, go to the dealer, take your own containers, and beg them to sell you the Extra-S you need. (it comes in 20 liter buckets I THINK?) Or order it from Fred Beans . But it's pricey that way due to shipping. Or, order this-http://www.grimmspeed.com/1-transmission-cocktail-mix/

The 80/90 should work. I dunno about next winter for you - surely the parts houses carry adequate variety of viscosities for your climate.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Think that may be a valid experiment, however the oil that I dropped out of the old trans had way too much silver in it to go back into anything other than my waste oil bin where it currently rests.  You can move the input shaft on the old trans back axially and radially quite a bit so something in there is quite worn.  No second chance for the old oil.....    after looking over the old tranny I suspect that it may have been opened up before as both the lock tabs are missing for the ( not sure what to call these) side output shaft caps that the seal sits in.?

I'll swallow the cost and use the synthetic 75w90 (Castrol Syntec) and hope this will be the last time I have to worry about it...

• 2 weeks later...

Extra-s! It's what comes in Subaru's when they come off the lot new. Subaru dealer ships have contracts with another company so they don't use it for changes. And they only sell it in 5 gallon drums. Still is the best for Subaru's, no more thirds gear grind.

Prwa