Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1995 Impreza axle nightmirror and question

Well, yesterday I thought I'd take a couple hours and change the "original" CV axles on my Impreza. 2 boots, one on each side, finally split after 20 years and 74K.

Well I have changed many axles and  I figured a couple hours tops. Started on the right side and all went well. The axle just slipped out of the hub, the ball joint fell out and all is good! (Thanks to a TX car and no rust I thought). Well on to the left. all went well, but the axle would NOT come out of the hub. Despite, heat, PB blaster, a hammer, a sledge hammer, 2 different types of pullers, a few bad words and a nights sleep. Nada...it WOULD NOT EVEN BUDGE. So I decided I would have to take the knuckle and axle and take it to the axle shop. Guess what....they could not even press it off with a massive press! WTH! Its trash! What a waste!

Has anyone ever had this issue with an original axle and hub? So I had to source a used one fast. (I found one in about 2 hours and they pulled it for me)  I'm just to old to do this grunt work anymore!! It was $45....well worth it to have it handed to me!

So it's getting a new bearing and seals and I should be good. But my 2 hour job turned into 3 days!

Now my question:

When I took the old knuckle off, I marked the alignment spot on the adjustable top strut/knuckle, (strut to knuckle). Now that I have a different one....how best can I set this? Do I really need to get an alignment now?

Thanks!!  Todd

It's a good idea to get an alignment after any sort of movement of the camber bolts. Not always necessary, but piece of mind. If I were in your shoes I would have one done in the near future, not sure what a front end alignment runs out there, but it's got to be cheaper than a set of tires and an alignment down the road.

Pretty common for the axles to seize in the hub like that. And yes, when they get stuck even the biggest most powerful presses can't get them out.

I always coat the axle splines with a crap load of antiseize in case I have to take them apart again in a few years.

The new knuckle will be close enough that the same marks can be used on the cam bolt. Keep an eye on tire wear over the course of the next month or so and watch for any feathering of the tread. If you get feathering have it aligned, and make sure to specify that you need the camber set. Some shops will just set the toe and let it go.

• 3 weeks later...

Well car is back together and all is well!! I had to get a replacement knuckle.

Now....I would like to save the old knuckle. Is there ANY way to get the axle out? The machine shop could not get it out, but they said maybe a higher pressure press might, but it might snap with more pressure. I tried heat....nada. I just HATE to give up and throw it out!!

Todd

Put it on a bench so the hub is facing up.

Wire brush any crud/rust out of the way where the axle stub sticks out. Then fill the little cup on the hub with PB and let it sit. Every now and then smack the end with a 3lb hammer. If the PB drains out spray some more in. ATF works pretty well also.

After a few weeks of that, if the hammer strikes haven't freed it up, rent a hub puller from a parts store. Put some pressure on it with the puller then smack the end of the puller with the hammer. Just make sure you don't mushroom the end of the puller.

yep i've seen this before as well.  smacking it with any force will mushroom the threads.

got a freezer or cooler and dry ice you could fit it in?  get it cold then heat up the hub with a torch. probably not worth the time...

if soaking/waiting doesn't help, a machine shop with good heat/presses should easily be able to get it out in no time.

point is the amount of force requiered to get it apart will also damage it so it a no go.

only way is to have it in a press and smack the axle to loosen it. leave the nut on so when you mess up the threads you can run the nut back off and clean them up.  i used to work in a machine shop and one day had a axle that wouldnt come apart.i aborted and the owner came in and said to pump up the press. i said NO! and walked out. a few minutes later we heard a huge bang. i ran back there and the hub exploded out of the press and went through a cement block wall behind the press.the hub was bent, the axle ruined, a huge hole in the wall......but he got them apart lol