Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacement steering u -joints?

I remember seeing mention of replacement u-joints for the steering linkage here some time ago. I can't for the life of me find the thread though. (Hard to search on the mobile)

Does anybody recall the source for these?

Car is a 96 Legacy L.

I have a 2" lift kit, with the linkage extended, so just grabbing a used one from a junkyard isn't really an option. I have the original which is still in good shape, but I would have to extend it to make it work.

Thanks

I had an outback one at one time and it was still a fair amount shorter than the extended one.

But I have been looking on eBay and see some that may be close enough to work from newer cars. Ill have to get somewhat accurate measurements of the lengths somehow though.

Found a guy who rebuilds Porsche steering shafts with new u-joints. For about $200.

Have also searched 4 different suppliers catalogs for u-joints and none even have a listing for one with bearing caps smaller than 0.75" diameter. So I must be looking in the wrong place.

So I thought before that I had an Outback u-joint. Found that in the shed and compared it to the old stock u-joint from my car, and they're the same. So it appears I was mistaken about that one, or it came from a 95 Outback maybe, dunno.

On to searching part numbers, found a thread here with pics of two different u-joint couplers with a tape measure. http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/99813-legacy-steering-u-joint/

The one on the left is supposedly for a 96-99 Outback. Went out and measured the center section length of the one on my car and it appears to be the same, or at least close enough.

Problem solved! Just have to find/ order one now.

Thanks for the idea John!

So I thought before that I had an Outback u-joint. Found that in the shed and compared it to the old stock u-joint from my car, and they're the same. So it appears I was mistaken about that one, or it came from a 95 Outback maybe, dunno.

On to searching part numbers, found a thread here with pics of two different u-joint couplers with a tape measure. http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/99813-legacy-steering-u-joint/

The one on the left is supposedly for a 96-99 Outback. Went out and measured the center section length of the one on my car and it appears to be the same, or at least close enough.

Problem solved! Just have to find/ order one now.

Thanks for the idea John!

Are you planning to order the whole assembly or just the joints?  Just curious as I was able to 'fix' for the time being a u-joint on my car that was making it really hard to turn the wheel.  I was able to remove the joint and clean it up and repack, so far it is just fine.  Guess it depends how far gone yours are but it may work?

Mine has actual play in the bearings. They're shot.

Had I noticed sooner I would have considered knocking the caps out and re-packing them, but I don't want the car down for days or weeks if it doesnt work out.

I also had an idea to drill into the center of the joints and thread in a grease fitting so they will be serviceable. I want to have a spare on hand to try that with though. Ordered one tonight so ill play around with that idea in a few weeks after I have the old one off of the car.

Well finally caught a break after I managed to make out what looked like a part number on one of the bearing caps on the u-joint. That lead me,via google search of the part number, to a thread about a month old discussing replacing u-joints in a Toyota steering shaft.

One of the posters mentioned a site called ujointstore.com which carries a 16mm X 40mm replacement u-joint. Measured the joint in one of my spare couplers and sure enough that's the size.

$25 a pop. I ordered 2.

Will update when I get the new joints and attempt to install them.

Of course I find this after I just bought a whole coupler, but I have a spare now!