Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel cutoff fusible link?

Hey everyone..it's been a while since I have been around...Diamond in the Roo ('81 Subaru GL AWD Wagon) is still sitting with a car cover on and in the driveway. How to make a long story short?...hrmmm...okay...first of all...every Subaru owner knows that the gremlins in the electrical system are very unforgiving. I have been through many trials with this car...mechanically brand new...body is restored using POR15 and other cosmetic items..but electrical work is not my forte. First of all...the current problem is this...with new alternator...battery...and voltage regulator...the car will start..but only runs for 30 seconds or so then dies...like it's cutting off the fuel. I know what you are gonna say...get a voltmeter and check power at fuel pump...well I haven't got that far...and don't have a voltmeter as of yet. I called S-Wings and they were 99% sure of a fusible link under the dash near the middle that went bad...a safety feature just in case of wreck.

Oh...forgot to mention what happened...I was replacing a lifetime guaranteed alternator from Autozone that went bad after a year...they tested the VR also and said it was good..although I did go ahead and put another one to be sure...and it did the same thing. While replacing the alternator...I neglected to disconnect the battery and I saw sparks fly from the alternator when I pulled out the old one...disconnected the battery and installed the new one...and the problem started. I found the fusible link next to the battery (white plastic connector with two? wires coming out of it) and it was bad..so I luckily found a replacement and fixed that..and the problem still continued.

Anyhoo...I have dug and crammed my hand up in the dash and have not found this mystery link yet. My questin is this...has anyone else had the same problem...and what exactly am I looking for...a tube fuse or wire links?

Well...that's it for now..hopefully I can figure this out..next is to go buy a voltmeter and start probing for power. Please..I pray to the Subaru gods...help me..please?

I assume there is a ECU under the dash that you could look at and possibly check for some stored codes.

Another thought I have is to see if there is signal coming from the crank angle sensor. If there is no signal then I think the fuel pump control will be shut down like was suggested after a delay of time like you said in your post. I think this will set a error code in the ECU.

You really should get a DVM to check things with but a test light will work also for most testing and is less expensive if you need to watch the funds.

No ECU in there.I'd say the alternator is not working properly.Probably the diode.Cuts off the fuel to prevent sparking upon collision.Should be more like 15 seconds,not 30 so maybe I'm wrong.

Next I'd suspect the Voltage Regulator.

Good luck.

I had a similar problem after i swapped alternators on my '81 subaru wagon. I found that i had put in an internally regulated alternator when i had an external voltage regulator. The result was that the car would run for a few seconds, then just die. I even went as far as hard wiring my fuel pump so i could control when it was on. When i did that, the car would run, but not good at all.

If i were you, i would consentrate on if you have the right alternator. hopefully this helps...

hey, i've had same problem ,just above the hood releace there is a relay? there is 5/6 wires coming out of it. its green or black 1.5"x1" i was told this unit is the roll over safty thing. the screw holding the hood relaese holds the relay. i by past it in a jam, and replaced it later. i found the hot wire and gently tested the other wires to get pump going. i broke the old one open ,greek to me but a nother used one fixed the fuel problem good luck todd

WOW!!...Thank you very much everyone...this helps out a lot...I will aim for by the hood release area next...then if that is not it...head for a VRM and test fuel pump power..then maybe another alternator. Odd thing is..the part numbers are the same on the old bad one and the new one in there now...both from Autozone. So..Thanks...when I get time...I will head on out and get her up and running. Kudos to everyone!!...Thanks!!