Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

300,000mi + 95 Legacy

oil high mileage

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 88coupe

88coupe

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • astoria

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:15 AM

My 95 Legacy recently rolled over 300k and im about due for a oil change also trans/diff. I have changed oil with 15-40w last couple times and added some Marvel mystery oil. I went with 15-40w due to the high miles with no issues & before I used 10-40w no problems. My question is should I stick with the 15-40w dino oil or should I change viscosity and/or to a full synthetic/blend? I have read a few guys use the 15-40w in there cars and a shop my friend worked at would use 15-40w in all the older EJ22's & 25's that went thru. But I've recently read that 15-40w doesn't lube as well as thinner oils & that the cleaners in it can be harmful to non-diesel engines.

Also what are your idea's about adding a little 80-140w to the 75-90w(80-90w) for the trans/diff to help cushion older parts?Or Is there a good additive to use for this?

#2 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 2,987 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:52 AM

5w-30 is what I use in my 98 Impreza with 320K.  I would stay with regular dino oil.  No need to switch and it will most likely cause problems not prevent them.

Quality lube has all the essentials to prevent wear.

#3 heartless

heartless

Do YOU Subaru?

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • North Central Wisconsin

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:23 AM

there is a lot of controversy over the dino - vs - synthetic thing. doing a search will get you lots of reading material. personally, I would stay with what has been run in the car for the majority of its life - in your case the dino oil.

initial start-up is where viscosity plays the biggest role. depending on where you live, and the average temperatures, the 15w40 may be too thick - the colder the temps are, the thicker the oil will be, the less able to flow easily at cold startup when it is most critical.

If you still have the owners manual for the car, it will give you recommended oil viscosities for various temperature ranges. Use a good quality oil of the recommended viscosity.

I switched my 95 Legacy with a little over 200K to a "high mileage" version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users