Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1984 ea81 weber brat issue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ross_vandals

Ross_vandals

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Moscow ID

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:28 PM

Ok so I've been sprucing up this brat I bought and threw a brand new weber on it and can't pinpoint my issue, when I start the car I set the electric choke turn the key runs perfect idling at about 1200 to 1300 rpms kick off the choke runs great and purrs at 800 rpm. So the problem comes into effect when it hits operation temp the idle kicks down and sounds like it's running on three cylinders, almost like it has a loppy cam or something. It picks up fine when you give it gas usually,sometimes a hair of hesitation. So things I've changed thus far, new plugs, wires, distributor, alternator, fuel filters, oil filter, fuel reg all were oem stuff. Weber was tuned best lean idle and no vac leaks I could find, any suggestions on things to check into?

#2 Uncle Ed

Uncle Ed

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Yacolt,WA

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:29 AM

Have you checked for a bad plug? Which cylinder is it? How about a compression test?

Ed

#3 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,917 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:52 AM

Does it merely sound like its running on 3 or is it really?  Can you pull plug wires one at a time and see if nothing changes with one? 

#4 TheYeti

TheYeti

Carp in Denim!

• Members
  • 501 posts
  • Arvada

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:10 AM

Does it merely sound like its running on 3 or is it really?  Can you pull plug wires one at a time and see if nothing changes with one? 

This.

And check to see that your plug wires are hooked up in the correct firing order.  It is a simple mistake that bites us all, myself included.

#5 Ross_vandals

Ross_vandals

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Moscow ID

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:04 PM

I'm positive it's not the plugs just put a new set in even tho the others only had a couple hundred miles on them all looked good on color, 99% sure plugs are in right order and the timing is set to ten according to the usmb recommendations. Will pull wires tonight and see if one is getting cut out, it almost seems like it's either flooding out or leaning out at idle I have the regulator set a 2 as well will update after work tonight.

#6 Ross_vandals

Ross_vandals

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Moscow ID

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:00 PM

so finally got some time to tinker with the brat and pulled the wires while it was running and everything checks out that way so I'm thinking maybe order up a jetting kit from weber?  seems the only problem is when its hit operating temp and something changes right when it gets to temp, seems like mixture is off just on idle would an idle jet potentially fix this? also has some dieseling problems does anyone have a link to an anti dieseling part i can't find one? Thanks a bunch 

#7 bratman2

bratman2

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 429 posts
  • Aurora

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:05 PM

Fast idle on my Brat is more like 2-2.2k. I know you stated it was set for best lean condition but sounds like to me it needs more adjusting. I fiddled and fined tuned mine over a couple of weeks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users