Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Transmission stub shaft swap - Who has done it?

Responsible Jon

I want to put a FT4WD 5 speed with locking center dif from a GL10 wagon along with an EJ2.2 into my 82 Brat.  This choice is because I will be driving on pavement 95% of the time, and I would prefer the FT4WD to the more common D/R 5 speed swap.  I have the D/R 4speeed Brat transmission with 23 spline stubs and I want to install those on the FT4WD 5speed transmission so I can run stock axles.  All the searched threads I've done people say build hybrid axles or swap stubs.  I've seen lots of hybrid axles, but I only hear stories about people who have split the transmissions and swapped out the stub shafts for the different spline count.  Who has actually done it?  Does anyone have any pictures?  I'm not uncomfortable doing the work, I have split transmissions before, but I just want a bit of reassurance they will swap out before I open both transmissions and waste time if they don't swap. 

I've done it several times.

Mostly on D/Rs we put 25 spline stubs in to work in Legacies and Foresters.

But it will work the other way round too. 

However....I'm not sure if the 4spd stubs will fit. IIRC.....both ends of those are 23..........BEsides.....splitting 4spds is really hard and requires a special long, slender walled, 32mm? socket.  Super PITA

.I think you will need a set from a 5spd. They are 23 at the outer, but 25 at the inner were they go into the diff.  So they will go right in just gotta undo the clips inside the spiders.

If no one else has chimed in yet, I suppose I will find out of the 4 speed and 5 speed stub shafts are the same.  If they are not, does anyone have a set of 23 spline stub shafts from a 5 speed to sell me? 

Good luck opening the 4spd.

have done it many times is the last part you get to inside the trans and must be torn down to diff but diff dosent have to be removed just snap rings a 90 degree snapring plyers is important tool for this job. And extreme care must be taken to not pos of interlocks on shifting mec

• 2 weeks later...

For posterity, the output shafts from a D/R4mt are a smaller diameter than the output shafts from a FT4WD 5 Speed from a GL10 Turbo.  The 4 speed shafts are 27mm and the 5 speed turbo shafts are 30mm.  Does anyone happen to know the nominal size of D/R5mt shafts?  I need to get my hands on a set if they are 30mm.  It was also not super difficult to split the case on the 4 speed since I had a factory service manual, but I also didn't have to put it back together, so that might have taken some of the pressure off.  The FT4WD 5mt turbo was easier to get apart since there was no tail shaft and no DR linkage to mess with.  IMG_20140315_164645.jpgIMG_20140315_164449.jpgIMG_20140315_164655.jpg

It sounds like it should be Ibreakstuff, according to the more knowledgeable people in this thread.  Also, I was able to buy the 35mm thin wall socket at my local carquest autoparts store.  They had it in stock, and it was 7 or 8$.  That was certainly necessary for disassembling the 4 speed DR4MT brat transmission.  Thanks for all the help so far, I've got another transmission lined up to go pick up that should have the right shafts, but if any of you happen to have a set of 23 spline shafts from any 5 speed sitting around, I'd love to buy them. 

Never tried anything from a 4-speed, and I don't have a caliper that works anymore. But all 5MT and 4EAT axle stubs are the same diameter. I have a pair of 23-spline 5MT shafts that I've modified to work in place of 4EAT ones (only difference is the groove for the snapring).