Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does anyone know if brake lines should be flushed(at what frequency) and how would you do it? I know that the maintenance schedule calls for replacement of brke fluid but other than draining it and using the bleeding method to pump out old brake fluid, does anyone know or developed a method of proper brake line flushing?

danz

Commercially there is a power bleeder/flush unit that garages use to replace the entire fluid in a system every 3 years or so, depending on manufacturer's recommendations. It is not an expensive procedure to have a dealer do for you at a regular service. It can be a do it yourselfer if you have the time, and a friend to help, or a bleeder tool that eliminates needing the friend to open and close the bleeder nipple for you, while you pump the brake pedal slowly up and down. You first remove most of the fluid from your master cylinder with a turkey baster or like tool, and fill it with fresh fluid. From there you bleed each wheel until fresh fluid and no air bubbles appears at the wheel, checking frequently to top the fluid reservoir in the master cylinder, as it's level drops. Usually you start with the wheel farthest from the master cylinder and do each in turn until you finish at the closest. Having no access to a Subaru manual, I can't say for certain if there are bleed screws to do the same thing to on the ABS actuator/pump of your car, but I've not seen them on my 02. My Nissan 300ZX has to be bled at 2 bleed screws on the ABS actuator/pump. My wife's Lexus does not. Go figure. Anyway, its an easy, if time consuming procedure, if you have the confidence in your abilities to be messing with your brakes in the first place. It certainly isn't rocket science. If in doubt,though, leave it to the professionals.

I use a mity-vac brake bleeder. The thing pulls the fluid through so fast that I have to be very careful not to let the reservoir run dry. Takes about an hour to do all four wheels. I am a maintenance nut to say the least, and I do this once a year on any vehicle I care about. Our vehicles seem to turn the fluid very dark in a year, but living on a dirt road and doing so much wet weather driving is bad for vehicles in so many ways.I am unaware of any procedure specific to the ABS system. I simply bleed the brakes like I would any car.

My owners manual states that the brake fluid should be replaced every 30000 miles. I own a $30 pressure bleeder called EEZI Bleed...and it works great. It uses pressure to supply the brake (or clutch) fluid reservoir with brake fluid and all you do is go the each wheel and loosen the bleeder valve/nut and let the fluid come out until the old dark stuff is gone and the new clean stuff comes out.