Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 rear axle cup differences.

Ok - so I've broken 3 rear axles with the welded diff now. All have been off-road breaks. And each time except the first, the breaks have been with the smooth style axle cups. The ridged ones haven't broken on me except the first time, but my mustache bar was tweaked, and the outer joint "walked" out of the cup (but didn't actually break it - just ripped the hell out of the boot). So I'm wondering where the ridged / non-ridged ones are comming from. The ridged style seems a lot stronger, as it has more metal at the thin points of the cup. My 85 brat has two of the weak smooth style ones, but the 84 DL that my wagon's rear end came from has two of the ridged style ones. And I looked at an 83 GL at the JY and it had the ridged ones as well. Does anyone know if either of these is aftermarket, or did Subaru just switch suppliers or something? Could everyone look and tell me what is on their rig? I would like to form some hypothesis on when Subaru switched over, or what models came with what.

GD