Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch cable length....

So the daughters 88 XT needs a clutch cable. 4 cyl, n/t 4wd. The car isn't here nor can I get to it any time soon or to mine for that matter. lol Everywhere I've looked, they list 2 cable lengths but don't differentiate which one it takes. One is 36" and the other is 37.25" I assume one is 4wd and the other fwd. I seem to remember something about the fwd T/O fork having a longer throw which would mean the longer cable, but not sure. Of course, even if I had the car, I'd have to pull it out to measure it then leave the car down for a week or put it back in. Wondering if anyone here happens to know which one it's supposed to be. Thanks guys!

The difference in length is in the inner cable and noted on RHD FWD turbo that it got the longer inner cable of the two cables I was able to compare at the time. There is only one clutch fork part number for all EA82 from memory, must cover the 200mm FWD NA clutch and 225mm 4WD/ FWDT ??

The difference in length is in the inner cable and noted on RHD FWD turbo that it got the longer inner cable of the two cables I was able to compare at the time. There is only one clutch fork part number for all EA82 from memory, must cover the 200mm FWD NA clutch and 225mm 4WD/ FWDT ??

Hi,

i can't say unquestionably about the cable length , but i do know FOR SURE  that US spec ea82 vehicles have two different forks,,   1 is  4x4 and the other is fwd , they are different from each other, not just a number change,,   the ea 81 series had only 1 fork for both.

And now I'm confused. lol No matter what site or parts house I call and build it as an 88 XT4wd 4cyl n/t, it doesn't show the listing for the GA181 and when I look that up, it shows it as 33.5" for all 84-89 Subaru so I'm thinking that's not right. Naru, have you physically installed this cable in an XT?

And now I'm confused. lol No matter what site or parts house I call and build it as an 88 XT4wd 4cyl n/t, it doesn't show the listing for the GA181 and when I look that up, it shows it as 33.5" for all 84-89 Subaru so I'm thinking that's not right. Naru, have you physically installed this cable in an XT?

No,just looking at the parts book.

It shows 3 XT cables

181 for 87 up 4wds amd turbo 2wds(Jan  87 thru 89 at least)

180 for pre 87s

200 for n/a 2wds

Does not mention lengths.

Ok. Naru is the winner! lol After a whole lot more research and number crossing, the 33.66" cable is correct. The two longer cables I mentioned previously are fwd for turbo or n/t. I worked backwards assuming the XT6 and the GL used the same cable and then confirmed it. Thanks for the answer and getting me on track.

OK, wow, must check myself :)

I have two measures written down as 765mm from end of thread to centre of pin hole at pedal end for XT4 Turbo FWD and approx 730mm for 1985 RX using its special pedal box assembly & all other EA82 4WD.

So far XT4 Turbo FWD and 4WDs got same clutch forks - thinking non turno FWDs clutch fork may be the key here too !

Edited by jono

Oddly enough, here in the states, the fwd is the only one with a longer fork. The turbo and n/t should be the same as long as it is not a turbo fwd. My GL-10 appears to have the same T/O fork as the GL and XT6. So what you have written down is correct if my mind metric conversion calculator is correct. lol