Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 'new' '88 Subaru

Quick 'hi', as I am new.  Had a '92 Loyale wagon, which I have regretted selling the moment I signed the pink slip.  Thursday, I finally was able to locate and buy an '88 and I am SO excited!!  Bought it from an auto auction; it seemed nobody else around here had a clue what a great car these are!  (NE Arkansas)

It will need some things, of course, but right now, am thinking the main problem might be plugged cat and/or muffler..  

It feels kinda like I am trying to push it down the road just a bit: definitely has a slight 'back push', but as I said, have only had it two days now- so need to find out all about our newest family member. 

Need to find out quick though, seems to be running rougher than when I first pulled it out of the auction, and the engine light comes on, but not until up to 3rd or so.... takes a minute of starting down the road to come on.

Was in a head-on collision Feb. 02, and our 88 Toyota truck was 'totaled', and this will be our replacement.  Still on a rental car, so hope to have this one at least just 'stabilized' in a couple of days.  

Hey, Scooner!  Will get photos as soon as this storm passes us... It looks like the ice storm part is missing us right here...maybe..., and if it snows, that won't bring power lines down..!  I think we are in for sunny weather later on this week.  This car is SO straight, it looks like it could be 5 yrs. old, and it has as actual miles:  111,000 on it! I can't believe it and I was looking all over the US, and this one pops up in the next county. Go figure...  So anyway, will try to post them this week..

• 2 weeks later...

My 'baby' is in the shop now, being gone over... some friends have a shop and they are doing brakes, tune-up, etc., exhaust had some leaks, wipers didn't work..., but that is all past me now! Rear brakes are drums, so shoes had to be ordered in for it: should have her back Tuesday, and I am so excited I can barely stand it!!  The last wagon I had was a '92, which had the push button 4x; this one is different, actually has a lever to activate..  Works for me!  

These are the greatest ever made!  Could have bought another, out of Albuquerque, that was straight, but  had a blown head gasket... I passed, but am kicking myself for passing it by, too.  

Maybe I can post the pics this week, have taken some, just couldn't get them off my cell phone...duh..  

• 1 year later...

Well, this is definitely an experience!  Last entry up there was from Dinky26, and Ray...Mundog64, and the dates there are 03-18-2014. 

My GL wagon is just now on the road!  Licensed, legal, and driving it!  Far from totally gorgeous yet, but can finally drive it.  It is now 4 mechanics later, and the brakes are correct!! Just took pics with my cell, but don't see where to/how to send them to my computer, so will use Hubby's cell tonight or tomorrow to get pics! 

Unbelievable! Life and time, work and finances just got in the way of doing anything sooner... still Lovemy GLWGN!!  Yes!

• Like 1