Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

cracked heads.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 subawoohoo

subawoohoo

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 277 posts
  • tucson

Posted 02 May 2004 - 06:13 PM

i tore down my ea82t and i have cracks in my head!! big suprise huh? anyway, its the two cracks in the one head that worry me, do they look alright?

also, how would i go about checking my heads visibly. HOW can i check the "bad" cracks.

also do the other ones look alrite.
thanks alot guys
tyler j.

Attached Files

#2 Adam N.D.J.

Adam N.D.J.

Quite Rusty, but working.

• Members
  • 3,290 posts
  • Medford, Oregon

Posted 02 May 2004 - 06:20 PM

I would get the head with the first picture checked out, only real way to actually check the whole head for cracks is to get it magnafluxed (local machine shops). The last 3 pics look alright, the single crack betwixt the valves is normal, there is actually a TSB out there. (sum1 want to link it?). That first pic though, if I'm seeing it right there are two cracks there, that could potentially be VERY bad, specially if it goes deep enough to where the metal between the two valves falls out.

#3 GLCraig

GLCraig

Livin' the live

• Members
  • 2,706 posts
  • LV, Washington

Posted 02 May 2004 - 08:24 PM

GRR, how many times must I post this? Here's a link to my copy of the TSB. http://home.comcast....c.moe/heads.pdf

Also on Turbo heads, the crack to be worried about is the one that forms where the exhaust runners meet in the exhaust port. When the crack opens enough, it exposes a water jacket.

#4 subawoohoo

subawoohoo

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 277 posts
  • tucson

Posted 03 May 2004 - 01:11 AM

yea the first one i am scared about, but the others the crack is kinda thick but it doesnt extend down by the valve , it just stayes on the upper level, in between, (sorry dont know the technical terms):grin: valve seat?

anyhoo, thats the story, the first one i fret, but ill get them tested anyway,

thanks a bunch,

GD, u can post it over and over again, but my comp just wont let me see it. lol

cheers,

tyler j

#5 GLCraig

GLCraig

Livin' the live

• Members
  • 2,706 posts
  • LV, Washington

Posted 03 May 2004 - 01:32 AM

if your computer won't open it you probably need to install acrobat reader

http://www.adobe.com.../readstep2.html

#6 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,611 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 03 May 2004 - 06:35 AM

piss on them cracks, dont worry aobut them.

the RX had worse craxks, down to the valve guides, but that didnt stop me from PORTING them and putting over 10000 miles on them thus far.

if they do scare you, and if you intend on having the heads looked at, i would suggest staking in the valve seats so they dont fall out.

my opinion anyway........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users