Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What did I do?

I'm not quite sure what I did, but friday night my car was running fine then out of nowhere it wouldn't start. I checked the disty timing and the belts and they're spot on, fuel pump is working, I don't really know what else to check. The car turns over and makes a kind of high pitch squeek, then blows 1 vacuum line off the passenger side of the engine. What's goin on here?

Edited by espey_16

No, I don't have all my tools with me or any cleaner, or a ride to get some yet. I pulled the distributor cap off and it was a little wet in there, so I used my girlfriends hair dryer on it but is still won't start. Keeps blowing the vacuum line off too.

Well I took the car to the shop yesterday, I couldn't figure it out and that's my dd. Guess what they said it was? Distributor was 180º off. That was one of the things I checked, and it was on. Whatever though they figured it out. Thats the second time now my distributor has gone out of time. What do you guys think would cause that? The timing belts are perfect.

this reminds me. i have an AUDM import ea82 in my 86 wagon and i shredded ( severely applecored) the disty drive gear on the camshaft. i set, and reset the timing till 11pm on the side of the road that night, believing i was just too stupid to do it right that day. I gave up and had it towed the next morning. pulled the valve cover off and saw the carnage. weirdly enough the actual disty gear is 100% damage free.ss we ended up putting in a new cam, cam case, and o-ring (dealer only on this one)

this reminds me. i have an AUDM import ea82 in my 86 wagon and i shredded ( severely applecored) the disty drive gear on the camshaft. i set, and reset the timing till 11pm on the side of the road that night, believing i was just too stupid to do it right that day. I gave up and had it towed the next morning. pulled the valve cover off and saw the carnage. weirdly enough the actual disty gear is 100% damage free.ss we ended up putting in a new cam, cam case, and o-ring (dealer only on this one)

:eek::confused::excl:

Wow......I've never seen that before.

Crazy...I'll have to look for that from now on with EA82 issues.  I'll add it to the long list....haha..but really I love EA82 quick revving great on gas when running right espescially.  But they are all dying off quickly.....EJ is the way forward.

Last time this happened to me I sheared the roll pin for the disty gear. Yesterday they pulled the disty out obviously, but didn't see anything wrong with the gear. They were gonna give me a quote to open the valve cover and see what was wrong in the cam tower, but they couldn't source the parts to replace whatever could be wrong in there. The guy told me I was probably better off finding a new engine. I'm not gonna go through the hassle of replacing a motor if I can just replace the cam tower. It just makes no since, I checked the position of the rotor on tdc #1 cylinder, and it was on the #1 plug wire on the cap.

its an afternoon job to replace the camshaft and tower. go ahead and pop the cover off yourself.

:eek::confused::excl:

Wow......I've never seen that before.

Crazy...I'll have to look for that from now on with EA82 issues.  I'll add it to the long list....haha..but really I love EA82 quick revving great on gas when running right espescially.  But they are all dying off quickly.....EJ is the way forward.

the engine had been running worse and worse for a few days after flawless since id gotten it.....so i gave it 8k for a few seconds and it stopped running after the next shift into second gear, having snapped the belt from momentary seizure.

Well I got the car back last night and it was running like a turd, so I pulled over and popped the hood and saw the vacuum line that kept blowing off before wasn't hooked up. After I put it on it ran better, but not nearly as good as it used to. This morning on my way to work, it struggled to get up to hwy speeds and on a hill I usually take in 4th at 55mph I had to take in 3rd doing about 35. I looked under the hood when I got here, and one of the disty bolts wasn't even tight, so I twisted the disty and got a little more power out of it, but it still isn't what it used to be. I'm so frustrated right now :(

What a headach... i would:

Pull the cam tower and cam asap befor things get worse.. get a good look at the disty and make sure there is no roation play or shaft play ans same goes for the cam.. ... next( if its broke or there is doubt) go to the pnp and grab a disty and cam with the tower it came from.. grab the lifters too and swap it all out if there is anything wrong.. ive seen exccesive rotation play befor to cause this issue... imo this is what i would do.

Edited by marcusgl10z28