Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Long travel shocks without body lift?

Hi, of so ive been doing work on my 1982 subaru brat like cutting out rust and pulling the front end out since it has been in a front end collision . (carfax needed) lol. So after pulling the frame and paint and such i would like to build the suspension for baja style off roading. I was reading that body lifts limit the amount of down travel so i want to stay away from that.  Soooooooo, im pretty sure many of you guys have pondered this idea and i think ive seen a white gl wagon with long travel shocks in the rear but not up front. I know this will be a very involved process and will take a lot of work and everything will have to be custom fabb'ed but still would be a cool idea or possibility.  My buddy built his own suzuki samuri using toyota solid axels and was telling my that i could make custom long travel a arms and it would be , also that i could use coilovers up front but how to get more down travel up front?  THe rear is east to get the down travel but the front is only like 3 or 4 inches than on jacks. I'm not really looking for a crazy lifted suspension (not body lift) or a down travel of like 12 inches but just more. Would this be remotely possible with the knowledge and custom fabrication or am i just plain crazy  :eek: . Please post your opinions and yes i have searched this in the search bar but couldn't really find anything about the front other than people just saying there is nothing other than ranchero shocks available.  

Thanks guys! hopefully i can pull the frame straight then get it ready for rego . hasn't been registered in 8 years and doesnt have the pink slip.  :banghead:  :banghead:

Yeah california!  :angry:  :angry:  :angry: haha 

check out the offroad board.First of all a "body lift" on these cars does not reduce suspension travel.It keeps stock geometry so stock amount of travel.a suspension lift does reduce travel a bit.You can get more front suspension travel with EA82 struts,axles,control arms,and radius rods-EA82 front suspension.For max travel get 2wd front struts because they have about 6.25" of travel vs 4.75".

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...