Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'93 Legacy Wagon Auto transmission code problem(?)

Hey gang, I'm hoping to tap the pool of knowledge here to help figure out my tranny problem(?)  Recently the POWER light on my wagon started flashing.  I followed the test procedure I found on another thread here and it indicated 14: Shift Solenoid 2.

So, where do I go next? The reason I say problem(?) is that the car seems to be running well. This leads me to wonder whether this is just a electrical connection problem and if some degree of wire wiggling could save me from buying a $180 part.  Can anybody provide me with some procedural troubleshooting tips?

Thanx!

shift solenoid #2 is inside the trans in the valve body.

there are several of them in there.

but go in to replace one is not a task i would attempt.

if the trans is driving well,

are you sure you read the code correctly?

a shift solenoid failure is pretty rare.

a wire or connector problem may be more common.

how does the car do when driving slow tight circles on dry pavement.?

a duty C solenoid failure in the transfer clutch of the trans is much more common.

this will cause binding in tight turns.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply, I got called away for a trip to Colorado. But thank you for your help.

After scrolling further through the thread describing how to read the handshake method I found out that you are right.  The code was two longs and four shorts: duty C solenoid.

I did some slow tight circle testing in a parking lot, but still was not able to detect any binding.

Next I pulled and reinstalled the fuse for the tcu, which cleared the Power code and then did a short drive resulting in another fault on the duty c solenoid.

What else might I check?