Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Urgent ea81 SPFI conv ignition condenser question

My question is-  there is a transister mounted on the coil mounting bracket.  There is also a condenser nearby. There is a black and white wire from +ve side of the coil to a two pin plug see pic and the second wire a black one goes to ground.

As you can see from the picture there is nothing plugged into this plug. I assume it is a plug in condenser. Can someone enlighten me about it, what effect it will have on the ECU if missing?  I beleive it has more importance for the operation of the ECU than noise suppression in a radio. Also what specifications has it?  As I'll try to hunt a similar condenser in Oz.

Finally I do have a spare coil mount with transister and a different style of condenser plug on it. A black cylindrical type. think it might be from a later model. but I dont have the other plug part that goes to ground.

Hope I can get some answers and pics to please.

IMG_0215.jpg

A capacitor  .47 microfarad rated at 250 volts  I've been told is suppose to be there to stop voltage spikes?  Maybe my conversion wasnt complete etc. 

Could be, but It isn't shown on the Wiring diagrahms in the FSM though.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...