Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Yet another EA82 stereo/speaker install question :rolleyes: :p

Just getting all my ducks in a row here, but I have a question regarding the EA82 stereo install, specifically the addition of rear speakers in a 3rd gen DL.  I found THIS write up here, which basically is what I expected as far as install goes (I've done enough stereo installs in the past in my vehicles, and they are all pretty straightforward).  The stereo install isn't the biggest problem, its the speaker wiring that has me wondering.

My question is this:  In the writeup it says about how the GL, GL-10, RX all had rear speakers.  There is no mention of the DL (in my case the 3 door coupe) having them.  But, does the body have the cutouts for rear speakers somewhere hidden behind a trim panel?  Mainly wondering if I will have to build boxes for them...

The cutouts will be there.  I do not know if the wiring will be there.  Just pull off the trim panel and you question(s) will be answered.

I suspect the wiring won't be there.  Most base model cars from the 80s that I've dealt with that only came factory with 2 speakers never installed the wiring for 2 more.

One more stupid noob question, where are the cutouts hidden in the 3 door coupe? :P

So apparently I'm either blind or a dumbarse...Looks like I found the answer to my own question, seems there are speaker grills above the rear strut towers that I didn't know where there :lol:

Although that does lead me to one more final question about this, does anyone know the mounting depth and size of the speakers I can put in there?  Would I be able to get some 6" rounds or do I have to go with plate (4x6/4x10) speakers?

If you want good sound anyways, its best to run new speaker wires. The common ground sucks. There will be metal mounting brackets under the "grills". Should be 6 1/2", search an Rx on crutchfield to confirm what fits.

Edited by Ibreakstuff
  • Like 1

I'm honestly not looking for competition quality, blow your eardrums, concert sound.  I just want something better than the stock setup that only gets 2 radio stations and has speakers that crackle more than tin foil in a microwave.  My buddy has a regular old off the shelf Pioneer cd unit that I am picking up for cheap (hopefully), and as far as speakers go I plan to use the same JVC CS-XM620 speakers that I've used in the past 3 cars (quite fond of them and they sound good enough for me, plus being old tech they are cheap per pair).  If I can't get the Pioneer unit, I may just go with a 4 speaker JVC kit that includes said speakers with a head unit, and get a bluetooth adapter for my phone.  I'm in no rush, but just want to make sure 6" rounds will fit in both the rear and the door.  As far as running new wires, I suspect I probably will have to for the rears anyway since my car never came with them from the factory.

Only thing I am really worried now is if 6" will fit in the doors, and if the mounting depth is going to be too shallow.  This is one of my last projects on the list anyhow, seeing as I'd like to Dynamat the whole car to cut down on the road noise/engine noise in the cabin, and doing that will cost me a pretty penny...

Again, just trying to get all my ducks in a row now so i can get parts on order :)