Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea82 tranny swap

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/82583-my-swap-ea82-5sd-dr-trans-into-brat-done/

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/128843-ea82-5spd-swap-newbie-qs/

use google search if you're striking out here.  then click on the "search USMB for more..." link and it'll only search USMB. a very helpful function of google.

Edited by grossgary

really not much in either of those threads .....but raises one question for me who has done one EA81 4 to 5sp conversion ....

the bolt pattern of an EA82 flywheel - is it the same as an EA81 ?

I retained the EA81 flywheel and its 200mm pressure plate.

Isuzu did a small 1600 sedan in mid 70's in Australia , we called it a Holden Gemini. I used a friction plate for it as its 200mm plate also had correct splines ~ 0.10 mm to suit the EA82 5 speed input shaft. They differ between EA81 and EA82 4WD boxes.

With a EA82 flywheel on flat floor with its engine side on the ground, sat right next to an EA81 flywheel in same position, you can line up the starter riing gears to see they don't mesh at the same height off the floor, so would give starter motor meshing problems over time, or maybe first try.

I and many others fixed this by making a spacer for between same EA81 starter and the bellhousing - the difference of the above exercise. I found 4mm stuffed on floor beneath one flywheel just for measuring purpose meshed ring gears perfectly in my case, so used 4mm sheet aluminium.

If I'd had and used an EA82 flywheel and clutch then, no need to make spacer. Back then I would have also learnt that an EA82 clutch pedal was also mandatory to get correct cable pull of about 25mm measured at fork.

Use EA82 clutch cable, modify pedal box to take its easier mounting sytem, with a 10mm block between pedal box reinforcement of 1.6mm mild steel plate welded or riveted.

The EA81 4 speed gearbox mounts and crossmember can be retained to hold the 5 speed in place. ID whicjh mount was on left hand side, which is right. They stay same, just one each has one hole each elongated with a rat tail file to mate up with 5 speed. Look and you will see.

I also used EA82 two piece tailshaft, made up flat bar  4 or 5 mm thick, 40mm wide, kept flat, no bending welding just drilled holes and when tailshaft was straight using string line from rear diff centre to gearbox centre line - held these flat bars attached to centre bearingbracket and drilled up through floor to bolt in place under front seats.

Done