Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Have had a run of bad pinion bearings on 99-02 outbacks come in with trans whine in front diff two in one week noise gets louder the faster the car go's. When I got trans apart found the pinion bearing had lost the coating on some of the rollers and had damaged the race. Installed the new bearing from Subaru 195$ and 6.5 hours later fixed for under 1000$ customer was quoted 4700$ from dealer to fix this. Was some time involved to set crown and pinion backlash but was easy to check. Anyway wondering what that front diff noise is

• Like 1

yeah i'd like to have some resources for setting up a Subaru front diff - even someone that's efficient and knows how to do it. i contacted a couple Subaru forum guys that know how to do it within 3 hours of me and didn't hear back.  fortunately my donor front diff transmission ended up only having two cracked solenoid tabs and the pan was dented.  doesn't look like i'll have to swap front diffs yet.

And all in one sentence !!! the shims behind the bearing are key they are matched to trans unit  and must be reused back lash can be checked buy Prushin blue or by feel. by holding both axle outputs and turning pinion to feel backlash. As long as no changes were made to side bearings is no need to move crown gear