Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2010 Outback dash lights and trouble starting after battery replacement

Hello All,

I just receently had my oil and batter changed at a local jiffy lube. They attempted to hook up the device to not lose any info from the computer but it wasn't charged enough so it failed. When we went to start it up afterwards it took a few tries to get it to turnover and then when it finally did a few lights were flashing on the dash. My emergency brake, check engine, traction control, and cruise control are all blinking now. They couldn't run a diagnostics because their scanner is broken. They said that the system just needed to reset itself and driving it around a little bit should take care of it. It has been 5 days and over 100 miles and nothing has changed. When I brought it back, they told me to bring it to another garage to have them figure out the problem but don't let them do any work and have jiffy lube take care of it. I don't exactly feel comfortable having a garge go through the hassle and then telling them no thanks, don't fix it. Any ideas on what it could be? If its a simple fuse that I can take care of, i would much rather just do it myself. Also the weird thing I have noticed with my starting troubles is if I turn the key half way and let all the electronics come one first and then start it, it fires up no problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Hopefully this is all being documented at Jiffy Lube

Personally I would talk to the manager and tell them that you are uncomfortable with the situation and you'd like a Subaru dealer or certified mechanic fixing the problem at Jiffy Lube's cost since they can't diagnose the problem because of their non functioning equipment.

You have gone too long without satisfaction. Try to have a reasonable conversation, but don't be afraid to ask for the number for the regional manager of Jiffy Lube or even mention small claims court if you feel it's necessary.

You could try having the battery disconnected again for a few minutes them try attaching it again. Maybe the weak battery caused the problem when it was first connected.

If the car now starts and runs well, it may very well just require a little more driving. AutoZone and other parts stores can read the code stored by the ECU. They might clear the ECU as well. It would be interesting to see what code is stored.

all new cars will light 2-3-4 lights if there is a DTC stored in the ECU.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

The trouble may be due to a problem with the alternator. To see if that is the case disconnect the plug on the back side of the alternator. Then start the engine and see if the lights go out. If they do then the alternator has some bad diodes inside it.

Jiffy Lube would not have been my choice to buy a battery. They are good at changing oil, as that is their specialty. If you go to Snopes.com, there is an article that Jiffy Lube has a reputation of charging customers for work not done. I question their trustworthyness.

Hello All,

I just receently had my oil and batter changed at a local jiffy lube. They attempted to hook up the device to not lose any info from the computer but it wasn't charged enough so it failed. When we went to start it up afterwards it took a few tries to get it to turnover and then when it finally did a few lights were flashing on the dash. My emergency brake, check engine, traction control, and cruise control are all blinking now. They couldn't run a diagnostics because their scanner is broken. They said that the system just needed to reset itself and driving it around a little bit should take care of it. It has been 5 days and over 100 miles and nothing has changed. When I brought it back, they told me to bring it to another garage to have them figure out the problem but don't let them do any work and have jiffy lube take care of it. I don't exactly feel comfortable having a garge go through the hassle and then telling them no thanks, don't fix it. Any ideas on what it could be? If its a simple fuse that I can take care of, i would much rather just do it myself. Also the weird thing I have noticed with my starting troubles is if I turn the key half way and let all the electronics come one first and then start it, it fires up no problem. Any help would be appreciated.

This sounds like they blew a fuse(s).

The problem is they've hooked up another battery (a small one) to keep the settings and memory for the computer. That small bettery has enough power in it to blow fuses if the battery cables touch each other or touch metal surfaces while the battery is out. Which fuses get blown usually depends on where they have the memory saver hooked up. There are several different types that can be plugged into different places in the car.

Check all the fuses in the dash, and under the hood.

The memory saver could have putt ecu into limp mode or battery was hooked up in wrong order and damaged something I would try disconnecting - side of batt let it sitt over night reconnect and try again. Have seen many cars badly damaged from poor battery installs and inexperience.