Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2002 Subaru Outback H6 VDC Station Wagon

Hi, I just bought my first Subaru with 190k to replace my 02 Ford Explorer 4.6L V8,

I would appreciate to receive al kind of feedback about the model/engine that I bought.

What could be the max mileage that car could do with proper maintenance done?

Thanks

they pretty easily see 300k if they're well maintained.

the serpentine belt pulley bearings should be replaced immediately.  they're a standard 6203 or 6204 bearing, readily available for $5 each.  very easy to install, 30 minutes or very inexpensive at a shop.  tap out the old bearings, reinstall the new ones.  they fail so often i'd consider this immediately necessary maintenance and done every 60k or so.

replace the PCV valve, it's probably never been done.

air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs.

other than that just drive it - these engines and trans don't really need anything but regular maintenance.

they tend to leak oil at the oil cooler gasket and valve cover gaskets - they'll need replaced at some point, but not a big deal and may have already been done.

best to time the valve cover/spark plug tube gaskest with a spark plug change as the spark plugs are tough to replace.  buy the stock OEM NGK plugs, they're expensive but excellent and robust to 100,000 miles+.