Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1990 Loyale AWD Turbo Cooling Fan

The main cooling fan (the electric one) has given up the ghost.  It spins with a little initial help but only turns about 60 rpm then eventually slows down and stops when hooked directly to a known good battery.  What are my options?  Junkyard (bad option around here)? Ebay? Someone on here willing to part with one?

I have some questions about sourcing.  Are the ea82 non-turbos directly interchangeable? Or do I need one from a turbo engine?  Is the electric fan the main cooling fan with this engine or is the fan with the fan clutch the main fan?

As always, thanks for the information in advance.

hi,

i have a stack of them,  10 + shipping , i think it will fit in one of the medium postal flat rate boxes but haven't checked that for sure.  i can test a couple and send a good smooth one, you might have to splice your connector on since there are different connectors in various years but the fans are alike.

Wrong.

Electric is the main.

Only cars with A/C got the clutch fan on the water pump.

Any EA82 electric  fan will work.

I am confused...when OP says

"Is the electric fan the main cooling fan with this engine or is the fan with the fan clutch the main fan?"

I'd say he asks about a vehicle with a viscous coupling clutch fan on the alternator/dizzy side and an electric fan on the turbo side.

I'd hazard a guess that the viscous coupled fan is the main fan with the electric a secondary as he also suspects.

The only time that turbo side electric fan is the main or only fan is like my non AC EA82T XT - when apallingly it is the only cooling fan !

I have added an electric fan to the alt/dizzy side working in unison with the factory lonesome primary fan electric fan.

jono,

Yes, I have two fans.  As you described on the turbo side (right side) is the electric cooling fan.  On the dizzy side (left side) i have a viscious coupled clutch belt driven fan.  I may have created some confusion bay calling the electric fan the main fan then went on to ask if it was or not. 

In the past, I have seen each of them described as the main fan ( just like in this thread) .  The reason I asked was because I'm trying to determine if it's ok to run the vehicle until I find a solution.  It is rather cool here in the 50's and haven't noticed the car heating up much. 

I've run with just the electric fan, no problems (that's how my GL is right now actually), I've run with just the clutch fan, no problems. Hell for about 2 weeks I ran with NO fans whatsoever, in July, with no overheating issues except if I was stuck in traffic for more than 10 minutes, then temp would start rising. You'll be fine*.

*Assuming the rest of your cooling system is operating properly.

Edited by l75eya

• 2 weeks later...

I am confused...when OP says

"Is the electric fan the main cooling fan with this engine or is the fan with the fan clutch the main fan?"

I'd say he asks about a vehicle with a viscous coupling clutch fan on the alternator/dizzy side and an electric fan on the turbo side.

I'd hazard a guess that the viscous coupled fan is the main fan with the electric a secondary as he also suspects.

The only time that turbo side electric fan is the main or only fan is like my non AC EA82T XT - when apallingly it is the only cooling fan !

I have added an electric fan to the alt/dizzy side working in unison with the factory lonesome primary fan electric fan.

I'm with Jono on this.

Only cars with air con got the viscous fan.

Just cos it spins all the time doesn't mean there's load on it and it's doing any good. The fluid inside the fan heats up and makes it provide cooling.

The electric fan is activated by a temp sensor, or if aircon is fitted, by the aircon being turned on.

Try living somewhere that reaches >45 degrees Celcius (well over 100 F) in summer and then tell me that the viscous fan is the primary :P

I've known a large number where that fan got tossed & replaced with a 2nd electric one.

I had them both running yesterday.  The electric fan didn't actually kick in until the engine was running pretty warm.  I had to force the temp up a little with tiny version of power braking because it was only in the 50's, Just driving around wouldn't do it, at least not just around on neighborhood streets. I'd get out every two or three minutes to check it.  Once it did kick on, it seems to suck/blow as good if not better than the belt driven fan.  I'm happy with it now.

I took the old fan motor apart just cuz, well, I take everything apart before I throw it away.  I guess I'm just a 12 yr old trapped in a 50 yr old body.  Anyways, it was one nasty cruddy rusty mess inside.  I cleaned it up and put it back together semi properly. It worked pretty well, but certainly not like the one I got from ruparts.  I tossed it anyway after salvaging the goodies out of it.  A nice add to my magnet collection lol.

I think the circlip from the drive shaft motor will fit the back hatch strut pin that I lost a long time ago.  I'll check that out at some later date.

Edited by rain_man_rich