Ultimate Subaru Message Board

NEED HELP WITH VALUES

Ok all

I have found 2 nice gen2 brats and need help deciding which would be the better buy!!

1st is a 1982 SUBARU BRAT gl, 135,000 on motor,4 speed, new brakes/ clutch, runs good, $3900. , seller has told me its pan is rust free but he wont take less than 3700.00

post-52352-0-24713300-1394330269_thumb.jpg

post-52352-0-97285500-1394330283_thumb.jpg

post-52352-0-55360900-1394330294_thumb.jpg

The 2nd is a 1986 and looks to be very clean as well with

250k mls with newer 1800 engine. Has brand new:
Weber Carb conversion,water pump, Electric Distributor,wires,oil and tune. Runs sweet.
Everything works as it should. I have all the stock parts including the jump seats!
No, its not a cheap beat up brat. I have seen these sell for 9 grand.
This is the GL T-Top with the Hi-Low range 4 speed. Great gas mileage and reliable has a stone axe, the owner of this one is asking 4800 but have him down to 4,000.00

post-52352-0-40797600-1394330441_thumb.jpg

post-52352-0-92657200-1394330455_thumb.jpg

Please all opinions welcome

Thanks

Buck

Edited by buckkiller

Hmm, that's a tough one. I'm not super familiar with Brats, but if I were choosing between these two, here's my pros and cons list. Keep in mind, these are all my opinions and personal tastes. Also, on vehicles this old, I consider high miles to be a good thing.

First Brat:

Pros:

-Cheaper

-New brakes & clutch

-Has the canopy

-Has jump seats installed

Cons:

-I'm not a fan of the color

-Headlights (I prefer the quad headlights)

-Is it 4WD? Dual range?

-Low miles (seals in the engine might have never been replaced, and might have degraded over time)

Second Brat:

Pros:

-Higher miles (car has been used and maintained)

-Dual range 4WD

-Better color (in my opinion)

-Quad headlights

-Looks to be in a bit better cosmetic shape

Cons:

-More expensive

-Jump seats are not installed (although they are included)

This really is a difficult choice. For me, I'd really have to drive them to decide, as they are about equal in other aspects (in my opinion). I like the looks of the second one better, for sure. But maybe if you got rid of canopy on the first one (I don't like the looks of 'em), I might like that one a bit better. Plus you could sell the canopy and make a bit of money (which is why it was on the pros list).

Yeah, I don't know. It's tough to decide between them. Prices are about the same, so that doesn't lean one way or the other. I'd probably go with the second, silver one though.

Edited by jj421

The first one is a better deal.

Includes a topper (hard to find)

Has it's OE engine and Carb  (easily rebuildable and keeping it stock is the way to go for keeping future value).

135k is low miles.......3700 is a pretty good price if it's all there and intact.

Flip a coin. IMO they both are over priced, but that's the way it is with Brats. The '82 is the rarest of the breed, only year with that headlight set up. If that's really the best the sellers are willing to do on price, and you have the $$ to go either way, check them out in person and get the one YOU like.

Flip a coin. IMO they both are over priced, but that's the way it is with Brats.

Brats are priceless.  They are a unique vehichle, even in their own time......and now even more so since all the 80's cars are nearly gone.

They will only go up in value from now on.

Especially rust free west coast ones.

I support sellers who want full value out of their Brats

• Like 1

Yup, prices for most anything '80's and earlier Subaru are going up fast right now. I'm surprised how much values for '80's wagons are right now for crappy ones. Sometimes, just sometimes, makes me consider selling my nice '84 wagon (never the Brat!).

jj421, on 09 Mar 2014 - 01:52, said:snapback.png

-Is it 4WD? Dual range

All second gen brats are Dual Range 4wd.

all first gens are 4wd but not all Dual range.

There are no 2wd brats

Thanks! I chuckled alittle when I read that.

I'd say the '82 is more desirable, That particular grill/light combo is an '82 only thing for Brats

She looks to have a passing lamp,how 'bout Plaid seats?Or the superior 4 spoke steering wheel. Chrome bumpers for an '82 also! Plus!

Even the carpeted bed with the hold down strip still intact is very uncommon to see.  '82 all the way!!

They are both missing the front mud flaps which always seems to go first, that is kind of a drag.(hint: it reduces the value ;) )

The '86 is probably an '84-85. An '86 would not have Jump seats or the kick step for jump seat passengers.

The '86 will have a bit taller gear ratio if that matters to you and it likely has hydro lifters.

It has a cleaner wiring layout, and front end part may be alittle easier to find.

To some the colors of the '86 may look nicer but personally I would go for the '82

Remember, things are only worth what someone else is willing to pay. Ask your self......

GOOD LUCK!

Edited by 81EA81

I offered both sellers 3k...the owner of the 82 has told me 3700.00 is it!! Lol the owner of the 2 text me today and wanted to talk but I don't have time for him right now, I was planning to head over the mountain and drive it home today but he never got back to me last night. Thanks for all the opinions.

Buck

I offered both sellers 3k...the owner of the 82 has told me 3700.00 is it!!

Owner of 2 one text me about an hour ago, said he would take 3,000 by the end of this week if he doesn't sell.

Buck

That's the difference 115k miles makes.

3000 is pretty good deal.....and if your lookin to drive it all the time you may be happier with the slightly updated version..even with higher miles...better fuses, Wipers, tilt column and headlight/grill replacement easier.  Better clutch.(225mm vs. 200).

The 82 would still be my pick just form a collectable stand point.

WOW..... The owner of the 2nd brat didnt even know what year it was when i called to verify that the add read correct! Its not an 86 like the add claimed its an 84, I have to admit im a little worried now. He did how ever supply  me with the Vin # and a few more pics, looks to have a bit of rust

post-52352-0-60457800-1394572161_thumb.jpg

post-52352-0-65437900-1394572171_thumb.jpg

post-52352-0-40752600-1394572184_thumb.jpg

post-52352-0-89240300-1394572195_thumb.jpg

post-52352-0-36079600-1394572203_thumb.jpg

post-52352-0-76698800-1394572211_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Buck

interior and under hood pics would be nice. 

Both are good deals IMHO...I'm surprised he's willing to drop to 3K on a clean looking brat....well is does seems that most of the Brats are up in the Northwest region so rarity is not the issue it is elsewhere.

Quality will be remembered long after price is forgotten "Levi Straus"....buy the best condition one, most complete, most original, most rust free.....saving $500 on getting the ugly sister will not sit well with you in a months time...if even that long 

I wouldn't either if it was mine.  I suggest you suck it up if you want a nice Brat.  Your gonna be pissed as soon as someong else picks it up.

is the inside as nice as the outside?

your own words from your original post....."I have seen these sell for 9 grand."

I wouldn't either if it was mine.  I suggest you suck it up if you want a nice Brat.  Your gonna be pissed as soon as someong else picks it up.

is the inside as nice as the outside?

your own words from your original post....."I have seen these sell for 9 grand."

That was a pasted Quote from the sellers CL add lol....I talked to the seller of the 1982 yesterday evening and told him I would pay 3700.00 and would head over to pick it up last night he said he had another buyer coming from Portland this weekend that was willing to pay 3700.00. When I told him that I could head ever he said he would call me back....."which he never did". I find this odd considering Im in sales and have been taught that a "bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush". Something smells fishy!!

Buck

I think the guy from Portland is on this forum.   He should probably thank you for the tip on the Brat.

In my experience, when you know what you want... don't hesitate. 

Maybe but why would this guy wait for someone who may not even show? No deposit made and the seller sounds like he's hispanic....most mexicans will take the 1st person to show up with cash!! I could have gone last night, why not call me back? I called again this morning and he told me he would call me on Saturday if the guy doesn't show.

Buck