Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Impreza Outback shakes when letting off gas

typical problem with bad/poorly rebuilt half-axles in automatic trans soobs. Vibration when stopped in gear - shift to park or neutral and vibrations stops.

seems like the only cure is Subaru axles, new or properly rebuilt. new aftermarket 'sometimes' work OK. The first EMPI I installed did not vibrate, the second one did.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

My Subaru has 177k miles on it an engine with 35k miles on it was put in a few months ago. This just started recently it only shakes when you are coasting down the road in drive. Shakes as long as you are off the gas.

Edited by Darr12

OK, seems this is a different problem than I first thought.

do you feel shaking in the steering wheel or 'seat-of-the-pants' ?

many things to look at - start by shifting the front tires with the back. Inspect the tires as you do this.

alignment could be a little off, worn tie rods/rack bushings could be in the mix.

check lugnuts/studs, check for draggng brake caliper, loose axle nut. bad engine/transmission mounts.

any work done immediately before this began?

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Could be several things.

If you feel it in the wheel focus on front suspension and axles.

After that I would suspect driveshaft u-joints (if you can duplicate the problem by accelerating quickly) or possibly a problem with the AWD transfer clutches.

Is the shake speed related? Shakes harder/faster if you're going fast than it does when going slow?

Does it change if you press lightly on the brake pedal? (Just enough to make the brakes start slowing you down) What about if you brake heavily?