Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stuffing a EA81 into a 1978 Wagon.

From my understanding you need the crossmember from a gen II brat or make one. Also something about the steering column. Sry not much help, but I hear it's not too bad to do. Most people told me to just tear into it and figure it out.

Since my 78 brat got stolen I didn't do it.

Bah, you beat me to it :P

I'd like to know what options are availible from the people who have done simular swaps. IE what model EA81's to use, what trannys to use, what steering systems/crossmembers, etc. sets of combinations may work best. It would be good to keep the stock tranny for now on the '78.

Or if you don't want to make or modify the X-member, you can get one from an 81 EA81 Brat, that will bolt right in and make it so you can bolt up the EA81 with no probs.

The problem herein lies in the steering rack, the input is close in on the EA71 cars than the EA81, and the EA81 being wider hits the steering linkage. Other than that it's pretty straight forward, you gotta mess with the steering and axles a bit, but it ain't too difficult.

Mudrat79 sent me an email regarding this a while ago:

Haven't seen your mail yet, But I'll assume its regarding steering...

The reason behind steering issues is that the 1800 motor to tranny bellhousing is about 2 inches wider overall to the 1600 and you will severely rub steering if you don't have the 180 crossmember or modified steering.

I'll try to explain it here, if it gets confusing, call me when you have the

car torn down, and you can look directly at all the steering gear.

Start with pulling the tin plate off. Then at the bottom of steering gear you will have the round rubber damper plate bolted down with 4 12mm nuts and Bolts, 2 will be mounted to upper steering gear, and 2 opposing ones will be mounted to ears on lower gear coming out o the rack.

Measure the distance from the Lower easrs to the upper knucke up where it mounts to the steering column coming out the firewall, write this number down and be very critical about it. Now unbolt everything from the lower gear and the ears. You should have the rubber damper and a shaft and the upper knuckle in your hand at this point. Now, unbolt the unit that is left down at the rack that those ears are part of. It will be held in place by 1 or 2 12mm bolts. It will have a bearing on it and go down into the rack as a worm gear. Using a hacksaw or cutoff saw if you have one, cut this unit directly below the ears so that you have a round shaft left no welds, and no ear tabs. Now unbolt the rubber damper off the upper steering gear , and cut the shaft unit that had the ears bolted to the damper, also directly above the

ears. Now you will need to find a piece of round tubing somewhere that will fit tightly over both the upper and Lower steering gear you just cut all the ear

tabs off of.

If I remember correctly, it is 5/8" O.D. and 1/2" I.D.

Jig all of it up so that welded together, it measures your original measurement, tack weld it together, and test fit it in place stick lower end in first, and then upper knuckle.

With it in place, get 2 or 3 bodies on the front of the car, and check steering

both ways, bodies are to sub in for motor and tranny, axles sit

differently with weight in car.

If all is right, you should be able to get full steer, and Not rub axle, plus

you've gained the room that you need to stuff 1800 tranny and Motor in.

As I said, Call me if you have issues.

Later, John in Oregon...

Hope this helps everyone! If it does, send John a big thank you email!

• Like 1

I've done it without swapping the crossmember. It doesn't hit the bellhousing, rather it hits the DOJ housing, well, at least it was AWFUL close on mine. The Steering wheel had a small amount of binding right in the center of its travel, but I never noticed any grinding or anything while driving. I'd assume you could cut the DOJ housing down a bit on a lathe and it wouldn't be a problem.

Since neither of us seem to have any welding equipement, thats out of the question :P Cutting might work, but mudrat states in that email "you will severely rub steering if you don't have the 180 crossmember OR modified steering." I emphasised the OR, since to me that sounds like if you just swap the crossmember then it will work fine without physical modificaiton... But I dont know if thats what was meant.

What bellhousing does the 81 Brat use? What if we could just get the bell housing from the same 81 brat we get the cross member from.

Dave. If you get some time, could you take a peek at the Carson City yard? I know there were a few Gen1 cars in there last time i was there, but not sure if any were 81 Brats. If we could find a '81 Brat Steve, i think we'd be set.

-Brian

What bellhousing does the 81 Brat use? What if we could just get the bell housing from the same 81 brat we get the cross member from.

I was gonna post something just like that. It seems to be reasonable to think that it would all work since it did come in a 81 brat. They are exacly the same size right? So the components from one should go into a wagon. . . right?

Jason/Chryslr swapped them both succesfully into that 80 brat he lifted.

Sounds like an awesome idea. You'd have a pretty cool car then. How about an ea-81t? hehe

I have dibs on a EA81T Parts car, and thought about stuffing it into the 78. But this is a budget that Kostamojen has to come up with, so right now we're trying to keep things as simple and cost effective as possible.

I think im going to search for an 81 Brat, and try to get the entire front cut :)

-Brian

Brian, I'm thinking about doing the same swap but with the EA81T and the d/r 4-speed. When I get the motor, I am gonna try and test fit it into the car. If you get to doin it before I do, lemme know what you find cause it'll be great info for the USRM, Thanks Brian:D

If it was a '87 Coupe, it didnt have an EA81 :) The '81 GL Brat isnt really that rare. Of course, it will be hard to find one, but they are out there and end up in the yards more often than you might think. Reno, Carson City and anywhere other than Sacramento will be our best bet :)

Or we can just keep looking for anyone parting out a 81 Brat. Any EA81 should bolt to the x-member, but the bellhousing is our main concern.

-Brian

Hmm, maybe it was the wierd displacement EA81 http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/80s/specs/mechanical/engine-specs.html

I went through all the subarus there, checked every engine designation... Found that 2-door, checked the door and it said it was built in 87.... So, I guess its that funky engine?

We need to go down there together and see whats there, then find some time to get up to carson city.

The 81 GL Brat had no different a bell housing than any other EA81. If you get a cross-member from an 81 GL Brat, then you can bolt any EA81 into any of the late 70's Gen 1's, or 80 Brats, or 81 DL Brats. Still hard to find, and no reason to need it if you just do a little modification to make it fit. I know a guy that has an EA81T in his Gen 1 Brat, and is about to do it again with his other Gen 1 Brat. He's got rear discs on it too.... and no, he's not on the board - doesn't even have a computer I don't think.

GD

What does the '81 have to clear the steering? Im sure Subaru didnt let it rub when they rolled them out of the factory. If we're able to find a Junkyard car, we'd be set.

Steve, I need your #, PM me from here when you read this if you can. Its almost pointless to goto the Rancho yard, we already know it wont be there. I'd like to take a trip to Sparks NV, and Carson City NV. If there are any other yards anywhere in between we should prolly look. NV is a great source for older Subaru parts.

-Brian