Ultimate Subaru Message Board

• 2 weeks later...

how do you determine how much grease goes into a CV boot?

Unless you're going very slow all the time, don't put any grease in the CV boot.  It will just cause the boot to balloon out at speed, sling around, and generally tear itself apart.  Pack the joint full with a good moly grease if it's an outboard/fixed joint.  The inboard/plunging joints don't need to be packed full.

• Like 1

They wouldn't even respond to my friend who owns a shop and called about them.

I've been trying to get the name/number of a retail distributor, so far no luck.

Their main distributor is World Pac.

Supposedly their return rate on standard replacement axles was 18%, with these ball spline axles it's 3%.

I was going to get a set but they don't have the ball spline version for a 99 Legacy, just the normal replacement.

we can get the slip yokes ones for around$ ea.

I might be getting pair for the front for my forester as im going much larger king springs and 1" spacers today. lets see how my current axles hold up. 

As far as there non slip yoke my buddy at the shop is i think buying a pair for the front of his 90 loyale. he just put 2 brand new ones from autozone and there already clicking. Ill keep you posted

I've been trying to get the name/number of a retail distributor, so far no luck.

Their main distributor is World Pac.

Supposedly their return rate on standard replacement axles was 18%, with these ball spline axles it's 3%.

I was going to get a set but they don't have the ball spline version for a 99 Legacy, just the normal replacement.

are you talking about the slip yoke ones? Because unless there diffrent than the 93 legs, thats what im running on my 00 forester right now. most of these axels are all interchangeable. Might have to pop the tone ring off though. 

we can get the slip yokes ones for around$ ea.

are you talking about the slip yoke ones? Because unless there diffrent than the 93 legs, thats what im running on my 00 forester right now. most of these axels are all interchangeable. Might have to pop the tone ring off though.

How much $ ?

As far as I can tell ABS tone ring is the only difference between pre-99 and post-99 axles. Tone rings are easy to knock off with a hammer.

Trying to get a set with the ball spline in the middle and fixed joints at both ends if that's what you mean by slip yoke.

How much $ ?

As far as I can tell ABS tone ring is the only difference between pre-99 and post-99 axles. Tone rings are easy to knock off with a hammer.

So the later ones should work, front and rear, just knock the ABS rings off?  What year/model should I order for?

Normal # 92100  Slip yoke# 22100  Impreza 08-11, Legacey 05-09, Outback 05-09
Normal # 92505 Slip yoke#  22505 Forester 03-08, Impreza 03

Normal # 92200 Slip yoke#  22200 Baja 03-06, Forester 00-02, Impreza 02-05, Legacy 00-04, Outback 00-04

Normal # 92276 Slip yoke#  22276 Forester 99-98, Impreza 93-01, Legecy 90-99, Xt 85-91

92276 is not going to have an abs tone ring.

and look in the pdf for the rear numbers this is only the ones for the front slip yoke. They dont make this style in the rear

Edited by Prwa101

• 2 months later...

So the later ones should work, front and rear, just knock the ABS rings off?  What year/model should I order for?

yes - for the fronts you just tap the tone ring off and it works fine on older models.  i've never seen rear axles fail so i've never bothered.

• 8 months later...

Anybody actually run these yet? Seems like there was a lot of buzz about these.

Other boards have similar threads, lots of people talking bout them but no posts about actual use.

Seems the only retail option for these is advance auto and they don't have any in stock. Some have apparently bought them through Heri directly, but again, no updates on how they've held up.

• Like 1

Yes sir I've been running them on my 00 for about a year now. It's running long springs and 1" spacer. 2.4" about.

Now the only poblems. The first pair I got installed, one side the inner C clip failed and pulled out of my within a week. Got the new one within a couple days, have yet to have another problem.

But I know another guy who's running my 2" lift and king springs and he's killed 3 or 4 of these. 2 c clip failures and 2 complete frags. Now this could be because he's way over the 50% over stock. He's at 3.4" with no subframe spacers. That a lot of lift for sure.

My own rating on them is 9/10 fantastic replacement as long as they don't have the c clip fail they should last a while with a desent lift (3" and under).

Have about a year on them and now problems since I got the new one.

• Like 1

The c-clip that holds the shaft in the joint failed? Inner joint or outer?

I'll be at about 3" between OB struts, kings and effective cross member spacing. So I'm looking for reliable axle options if it starts eating stock greens.

I'm thinking I may add another 1/2-3/4" spacer for the front crossmember.

Edited by Fairtax4me

Yeah in inner that hold the shaft in in joint. I would recomend them, they also have a life time warrenty. Im trying to talk them into making them for the ea82's can you belive the lift you could put on thouse axles on a older wagon!!

The c-clip that holds the shaft in the joint failed? Inner joint or outer?

I'll be at about 3" between OB struts, kings and effective cross member spacing. So I'm looking for reliable axle options if it starts eating stock greens.
I'm thinking I may add another 1/2-3/4" spacer for the front crossmember.

• Like 1

Yeah in inner that hold the shaft in in joint. I would recomend them, they also have a life time warrenty. Im trying to talk them into making them for the ea82's can you belive the lift you could put on thouse axles on a older wagon!!

I like the idea of these axles, but I can see where the design might unintentionally allow for that C clip to pop out certain conditions.

I also find it strange that they advertise these on the very first page of their product catalogue but don't list any of the HD axle part numbers in the catalogue.

I like the idea of these axles, but I can see where the design might unintentionally allow for that C clip to pop out certain conditions.

I also find it strange that they advertise these on the very first page of their product catalogue but don't list any of the HD axle part numbers in the catalogue.

You need to search the online parts catalogue which contains the HD part numbers too.  http://www.showmetheparts.com/heriautomotive/

• 1 year later...

Just installed a set of these.  The holes for the roll pins left burs inside the inner spline preventing them from sliding on the transmission stubs.  Had to spend hours grinding/filing the grooves around the roll pin holes.  Turned a 2 hour job into a full day of frustration. 

Aside from that they seem to be working better than the stock units. 

The stock axles were not happy with a 2" lift.  These axles seem to be working good so far

• Like 1

• 3 months later...