Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Has any one else seen this?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#26 Dinky26

Dinky26

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 429 posts
  • Wichita KS

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:08 PM

Anybody ever heard of or wiped the boots off to prevent extra wear, makes sense though, I have not done this.

Edited by Dinky26, 04 April 2014 - 10:09 PM.

#27 pontoontodd

pontoontodd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Loves Park, IL

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:15 AM

Has anyone used these axles yet?

One of the guys I work with told me the guy making these says he's selling a ton of them.

#28 bratman18

bratman18

ADIDASubarus

• Members
  • 3,447 posts
  • Jefferson, Maine

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:21 AM

They wouldn't even respond to my friend who owns a shop and called about them.

#29 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,661 posts
  • Texas

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:10 AM

how do you determine how much grease goes into a CV boot?

#30 pontoontodd

pontoontodd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Loves Park, IL

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:18 AM

how do you determine how much grease goes into a CV boot?

Unless you're going very slow all the time, don't put any grease in the CV boot.  It will just cause the boot to balloon out at speed, sling around, and generally tear itself apart.  Pack the joint full with a good moly grease if it's an outboard/fixed joint.  The inboard/plunging joints don't need to be packed full.

#31 pontoontodd

pontoontodd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Loves Park, IL

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:54 PM

They wouldn't even respond to my friend who owns a shop and called about them.

I've been trying to get the name/number of a retail distributor, so far no luck.

Their main distributor is World Pac.

Supposedly their return rate on standard replacement axles was 18%, with these ball spline axles it's 3%.

I was going to get a set but they don't have the ball spline version for a 99 Legacy, just the normal replacement.

#32 zombieforce

zombieforce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Knoxville,TN

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:52 PM

If world pac is their main distributor I can get them thru work. We use oem subaru on customers cars, but I am about to lift my obw and it would nice to have axles that can handle the lift.

#33 Prwa101

Prwa101

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 683 posts
  • Sandy, OR

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:28 AM

we can get the slip yokes ones for around$ ea.

I might be getting pair for the front for my forester as im going much larger king springs and 1" spacers today. lets see how my current axles hold up. 

As far as there non slip yoke my buddy at the shop is i think buying a pair for the front of his 90 loyale. he just put 2 brand new ones from autozone and there already clicking. Ill keep you posted

I've been trying to get the name/number of a retail distributor, so far no luck.

Their main distributor is World Pac.

Supposedly their return rate on standard replacement axles was 18%, with these ball spline axles it's 3%.

I was going to get a set but they don't have the ball spline version for a 99 Legacy, just the normal replacement.

are you talking about the slip yoke ones? Because unless there diffrent than the 93 legs, thats what im running on my 00 forester right now. most of these axels are all interchangeable. Might have to pop the tone ring off though. 

#34 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,641 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:51 AM

we can get the slip yokes ones for around$ ea.

are you talking about the slip yoke ones? Because unless there diffrent than the 93 legs, thats what im running on my 00 forester right now. most of these axels are all interchangeable. Might have to pop the tone ring off though.

How much $ ?

As far as I can tell ABS tone ring is the only difference between pre-99 and post-99 axles. Tone rings are easy to knock off with a hammer.

#35 Prwa101

Prwa101

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 683 posts
  • Sandy, OR

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:10 PM

Woops my bad around 120$ ea.

#36 pontoontodd

pontoontodd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Loves Park, IL

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:06 PM

Trying to get a set with the ball spline in the middle and fixed joints at both ends if that's what you mean by slip yoke.

How much $ ?

As far as I can tell ABS tone ring is the only difference between pre-99 and post-99 axles. Tone rings are easy to knock off with a hammer.

So the later ones should work, front and rear, just knock the ABS rings off?  What year/model should I order for?

#37 Prwa101

Prwa101

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 683 posts
  • Sandy, OR

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:28 AM

Normal # 92100  Slip yoke# 22100  Impreza 08-11, Legacey 05-09, Outback 05-09
Normal # 92505 Slip yoke#  22505 Forester 03-08, Impreza 03

Normal # 92200 Slip yoke#  22200 Baja 03-06, Forester 00-02, Impreza 02-05, Legacy 00-04, Outback 00-04

Normal # 92276 Slip yoke#  22276 Forester 99-98, Impreza 93-01, Legecy 90-99, Xt 85-91

92276 is not going to have an abs tone ring.

and look in the pdf for the rear numbers this is only the ones for the front slip yoke. They dont make this style in the rear

Edited by Prwa101, 29 April 2014 - 11:30 AM.

#38 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,743 posts
  • WV

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:35 PM

So the later ones should work, front and rear, just knock the ABS rings off?  What year/model should I order for?

yes - for the fronts you just tap the tone ring off and it works fine on older models.  i've never seen rear axles fail so i've never bothered.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users