Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

long travel Outbacks or making Subarus faster and more reliable offroad

• Please log in to reply
805 replies to this topic

#801 pontoontodd

pontoontodd

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 597 posts
  • Loves Park, IL

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:25 PM

So I charged the Impreza battery this morning but it still wouldn't crank.  Put in the battery out of the donor Outback and it fired right up.  Drove it for at least an hour around town, with a half dozen stops but none of them long.  Never overheated or puked out coolant.  When I first got home it was bubbling into the overflow, maybe a bubble every five seconds.  Used the magical test fluid and that never changed color, but after it sat and idled for a bit it stopped bubbling too.  So I'm guessing the head gasket(s) are starting to go but aren't too bad at the moment.  Might do the head gaskets this weekend.

While I was driving around some guy pulled up and asked if I was looking for another Subaru.  His daughter was driving a 99 Outback and rear ended someone.  They had supposedly just done the head gaskets, exhaust, timing belt, rotors, tires, and heater core, it has 118k on it, 4 cylinder auto.  I checked it out, it would need the lower radiator support pulled forward and a new radiator, but I have a couple of those in my basement.  It has a good set of snow tires and alloy wheels.  Clean cloth interior, smells like they smoked in it.  It's about as rusty as most Subarus that age around here, body doesn't look too bad but probably half the bolts would break off the first time you tried to turn them.  All the CV boots look good.  He wants $600.  I'm tempted to buy that and scrap/sell the Impreza.

I really need to get another rust free H6 Outback.

Still would like feedback on cruise control and AC issues with the 99 Outback.

Edited by pontoontodd, 16 January 2018 - 05:07 PM.

#802 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 6,812 posts
  • Saginaw, MN

Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:28 PM

How about just a T100 with the 3.4, then you wouldn't have to swap engines or axles?  Not that the 3.4 made a ton of power either.

The T100 has a wider frame than the regular pickups. So it has the longer CV axles, but the exact same control arms. All the width and non of the travel....

3.4 isn't exactly a powerhouse either, but in stock form it's decent. But more importantly, it's a proven solid platform for boost. You could have even had a supercharger put on it at the dealer. 

I no very little in real offroad desert/baja racing. But from my experience with rally, dampers can make a HUGE difference. Just on Ziptie Rally #171 we went from some custom-built (allwheelsdriven, IIRC) housings for Bilstein dampers, which were better than stock but only just, and bent after about 2 events. We switched to RS&SP 2-way adjustables, and the improvement was night and day. Then for the last year or so we got some RS&SP 4-way adjustables (which have remote reservoirs), and again, night and day.

Had to be sent to Argentina for a rebuild, though.

Now, in rally, you're really only getting one good hit at a time, not like hitting whoops. But the extra reservoirs are specifically to keep the fluid cool under continuous use.

Anyway, my point is maybe don't get hung up so much on the wheel travel number. By switching to a dual a-arm platform and running a conventional shock instead of a strut might allow for much better dampers, which might yeild the performance you're looking for.

#803 pontoontodd

pontoontodd

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 597 posts
  • Loves Park, IL

Posted 16 January 2018 - 06:04 PM

The T100 has a wider frame than the regular pickups. So it has the longer CV axles, but the exact same control arms. All the width and non of the travel....

3.4 isn't exactly a powerhouse either, but in stock form it's decent. But more importantly, it's a proven solid platform for boost. You could have even had a supercharger put on it at the dealer. 

I no very little in real offroad desert/baja racing. But from my experience with rally, dampers can make a HUGE difference. Just on Ziptie Rally #171 we went from some custom-built (allwheelsdriven, IIRC) housings for Bilstein dampers, which were better than stock but only just, and bent after about 2 events. We switched to RS&SP 2-way adjustables, and the improvement was night and day. Then for the last year or so we got some RS&SP 4-way adjustables (which have remote reservoirs), and again, night and day.

Had to be sent to Argentina for a rebuild, though.

Now, in rally, you're really only getting one good hit at a time, not like hitting whoops. But the extra reservoirs are specifically to keep the fluid cool under continuous use.

Anyway, my point is maybe don't get hung up so much on the wheel travel number. By switching to a dual a-arm platform and running a conventional shock instead of a strut might allow for much better dampers, which might yeild the performance you're looking for.

Makes sense on the T100.

Yes, better dampers and better tuning make a huge difference.  Ours are built around Fox shocks with reservoirs, which are considered some of the best in off road.  I think they're tuned pretty well right now, no comparison to stock in terms of ride quality and durability.  I didn't notice much difference in ride between the a-arm setup we made and the struts we have now.  There is probably still room for improvement in tuning.  And I have some ideas we're going to try soon to improve them further.  If you haven't seen what the top Dakar racers can do with 12" or less of suspension travel, you should, they are amazing, but the 2WDs at least have larger tires than we do, which helps.

All that said, something with well tuned shocks and 12" of travel will never be able to keep up with something with 18-24" of well tuned travel over rough terrain.

#804 ferp420

ferp420

im not a typer

• Members
  • 1,053 posts
  • means dry lake california

Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:06 AM

That's why I'm considering something different.

Like i sead in one of my first post i think your working with the wrong rig for your driving style but i have to hand it to you as you have done one H E L L of a job adapting it to sute your needs thats 5he closest thing ive seen to a trophy truck out of a subaru i also think if you dedicate it to off road use you can tune it.to do even better i know it can be done and with less were and tear  i know you dont think so but street/highway use is very hard on off road rigs in my exsperiance anyway the way i look at it the subaru is like a jack of all trades master of non they will do alot just wont do any of it realy well if you want something that dose one thing or another alot better it wont do other things as good as the roo so it comes down to what do you realy want to do and build for that and deal with the short comings when doing other stuff its all a compramise give up alitle here and gain alittle

#805 pontoontodd

pontoontodd

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 597 posts
  • Loves Park, IL

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:21 PM

Like i sead in one of my first post i think your working with the wrong rig for your driving style but i have to hand it to you as you have done one H E L L of a job adapting it to sute your needs thats 5he closest thing ive seen to a trophy truck out of a subaru i also think if you dedicate it to off road use you can tune it.to do even better i know it can be done and with less were and tear  i know you dont think so but street/highway use is very hard on off road rigs in my exsperiance anyway the way i look at it the subaru is like a jack of all trades master of non they will do alot just wont do any of it realy well if you want something that dose one thing or another alot better it wont do other things as good as the roo so it comes down to what do you realy want to do and build for that and deal with the short comings when doing other stuff its all a compramise give up alitle here and gain alittle

Thanks.  I think you're right about the Subaru being the jack of all trades and master of none.  Several of my friends have commented they don't know of anything else that can cruise comfortably on the highway, drive off pavement all day fairly well, and drive back home with (usually) no major problems.  It is definitely a compromise between road comfort, high speed off road capability, and low speed rock crawling.  Even deciding how wide a rig you want is a compromise between being able to do narrow trails or go in between big rocks and having more suspension travel and being more stable.  At the moment I've decided to stick with what I have.  Where we live we have to drive 300-2000 miles to get where we want to ride off road, so it has to be good on the highway.  I'm not excited by rock crawling or mud bogging so I don't need giant tires and a lot of clearance.  It would be cool to go faster over rough terrain but the current suspension is good enough to be fun, and I think we can improve it more.  One of the biggest improvements we could make to the cars would be the 6MT/R180 with a lower first and second.  You really can't beat on the 5MT and R160 with the H6 and big aggressive tires or they will break.

#806 ferp420

ferp420

im not a typer

• Members
  • 1,053 posts
  • means dry lake california

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:51 PM

Ya i would like a 6mt brz trans for my outback project then run it to a tcase 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users