Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Seeking advice on possible restomod 1st gen Leone

Saw one of these up in the PNW on craigslist. I am considering purchase and shipping it down here to Texas (I have some friends at Fort Lewis from when I used to be stationed there that can look at it and get it to me). It's a 1978 DL 2 door manual. There are signs of rust and body damage, but looks to be a decent shell if I plan on ripping everything out eventually anyways.

I would like to find one to eventually build up to this:

I would appreciate any advice on this. I understand it'll be expensive and costly, but figure finding one of these is hard enough, especially since these are almost impossible to find down here in Texas.

Thanks,

Ian 

post-52423-0-28384600-1394510532_thumb.jpg

post-52423-0-03949800-1394510536_thumb.jpg

post-52423-0-68914900-1394510538_thumb.jpg

post-52423-0-60909800-1394510540_thumb.jpg

Edited by RX-78 Gundam

Hmmm... First thing I can see in the photos is the air vent/cowl panel is raised up. This suggests one of two things: 

• It could mean the bonnet hinges have broken away from the inner cowl area - Quite common on these models and not particularly difficult to fix, just needs some welding.
  • It could be caused by rust - This is a bigger issue, again very common and not at all simple to fix!

Just from the photos alone I suspect it may have severe rust in the cowl. This is a complicated section where three different panels all join up to make the spare-tyre-hold-down-tray (not really sure what to call it - the parts manual refers to this as the 'Duct Assembly') and the metal/panels under and behind the dash area. Rust here is what usually sends these models to scrap and once it starts it is amazing how fast it spreads!

If you go and check it out make sure you check right up under the dash (move the sound deadening if you have too - usually you can already see the water is leaking if there is any mould or discolouration).

Hopefully I am wrong and it is simply the bonnet hinges that have broken loose but make sure you check! 

On a separate note the car on Craigslist is a two door sedan and will never really look like the hardtop in the Youtube clip you linked to or even a coupe as the roofline and side glass are tall like the 4 door sedans and wagons.

Sorry if this seems negative but it is best to be forewarned! Who knows you may be fully prepared for a welding project! Indeed, rust is not seen in the same light in Australia as it is in the US.

Edited by Leeroy

Thanks for the detailed advice Leeroy. I was getting all excited at jumping at the first 1st generation Subaru that I saw. I do appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. Time to keep searching for a hardtop, if there is even one still around in the U.S. 

Ok,they are both solid needing very little if any welding.

The gl just needs painting and putting back together with prep for paint and a better engine,it has a 5speed box from a gen 2 fitted by previous owner which needs minor modifications on mountings to work perfectly. But is all complete.

The gft is original and untouched,has minor surface rust from storage on all panels but is by no means rotten.

Needs work to drivers window which has come off the runners and an exhaust.

Has 1600 twin carb ea71 in it and 5 speed box.

Unsure of shipping to USA,I know it cost me a lot to get my dl wagon back here from Australia but I was impatient and wanted it ASAP lol

If you want more pics just shout :)

Well, found one on Craigslist that looks pretty promising. The only problem is that I don't have time to travel out there to look at it anytime soon. It does give me hope that I can find one eventually though, even if I can't get this one.

I would be interested in hearing others thoughts on a possible restomod. I understand that a restomod with modern components will be very expensive and everything will have to be custom. I am prepared to spend the amount to do a restomod and personally think the benefits outweigh the disadvantages. Though I may not have thought of every factor in the decision yet.

post-52423-0-17865600-1394848301_thumb.jpg

post-52423-0-51861500-1394848307_thumb.jpg

post-52423-0-28949500-1394848312_thumb.jpg

post-52423-0-26786400-1394848317_thumb.jpg

Yep that one certainly looks more promising! Looks to be less rusty than the first one you posted too (plus it is a hardtop!).

In terms of a 'restomod', anything is possible! it usually depends on time, effort and $$$$$! In other words plan/work out a budget and then double it! Can you do the work yourself? That will save some  of the expense.

Also, although you do not mention this, do you want it to be FWD or AWD? These models are not a simple conversion to AWD as the rear boot floor is really low (unlike the equivalent wagons or Brats) and it would be complicated to do (at least without a lift - which has been done).

Still, if I had the money I would do it too! A Subie restomod would be cool and not all that common.

That car sold within 24 hours. Still gives me hope though that there are some out there that I can search for in the long term.

I don't plan on doing much of the work myself. I think I want to keep it modern Subaru with a possible restomod into an AWD platform. Tons of money for sure, but yeah definitely something different than all of the other classic cars running around.

• 2 weeks later...