Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Made an offer on a Brat...

I went to go look at an '84 Brat today. It was painted black with some kind of shiny specks in it, but the paint job looked fairly well done. Rusted out tailgate, and the front corners of the wheel wells in the bed were rusted through. From the inside, where the shock mounts to the well seems solid. Small amount of rust in the spare tire area, rocker panels rotted out, but the undercarriage looked to be in good shape. The suspension parts, exhaust, axles etc all had surface rust. He said it had been sitting a while but he had no idea how long. The seats are worn out, and the dash is cracked. 230,000 miles, and it wouldn't start. It would crank, and it sounded like it had slightly lower compression in one of the cylinders. He said he just drove it until it slowly lost power. Probably just a fuel filter or something. Now for the good...

Snowflake wheels, the tall roll bar and the jump seats are there with head rests. Like I said, there's some minor rust but nothing serious. I tried to pull the carpet back but there's also some black sound dampening that's pretty well stuck to the floor pan. It was definitely wet in the floor, and smells of mildew. It has cruise, and a cassette player. Also has all the chrome bed trim in the back, but not installed. I didn't think to check and see if it was all there either.

I didn't even make an offer. I just told him what I thought it was worth but it wasn't what I was looking for. I told him 800-1000 and he laughed and said there was no way he'd let it go for that amount. I think that's a very fair price considering I know of a 4spd d/r EA81 GL wagon with less rust for $650. I just don't like black on a Brat, and that speckle crap looks terrible... it's like a giant hot wheels. What do you guys think it's worth in parts?

I see SUPER shitty brats sell for $1500 all day and to buy one for $800-1000 would be a really good deal, but to be honest, it sounds like that's a fair deal, seeing as if that brat were a hatch, coupe, sedan, or wagon it would be worth $400 if it ran. $300 if it didn't run. $6-700 if it were in nice shape. It's stupid how expensive brats are, but, they were cool when they were new, then weren't interesting, rusted away into nothingness, and then became cool again. They cost more than they're worth, but, I definitely want one. I need a brat, but, only if it has the jumpseats.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We still have non-rusted Brats out here in California.  I picked up an '85 with 101k miles, no rust, new tires, bad CV boots and bad clutch cable, bad alternator, but ran great for $800 last fall.  A couple of weeks ago I picked up an '83 with 115k miles, no rust, new tires, blown radiator and bad coil for $400.  I wouldn't buy a rusted one except as a parts car at any price.