Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1992 loyale axle nut backed off , around 80 km/h

Right on , looks like I have a plan then. got some parts in , going to replace the damaged backing plate , new hub/drum . I picked up a spring kit and some new shoes . good old ebay!

I'd like to be replacing both sides tomorrow but might just focus on the main issue . Get it mobile again.

The Car is at a shop where i can use a hoist so I dont have to roll around in the mud and snow.

I'll be sure to check the cone washer for damage ...ridge , crush, try to fix if possible . otherwise the car will have to wait for new hardware . I would like to replace it but if i can get away with a cleaning it up even better.

Domed washer facing out! I believe mine is marked . 

Then the axle nut gets torqued 145 ft-lb.

New cotter pin..not a finish nail!

seems there was another washer...in that hardware catcher, made by  Toyota...not original hubcaps!

I can use the other side as reference ...

Yeah went to pick up that expensive fuel pump , when I got to the counter i opened it up ...cheap electric pump not what was described . They couldn't even find one through there web of resources ..i was like ok i'll order one when i get home then...later.

Then i got to thinking about this fuel pump for the F-150s . Much easier to come by around here. i didn't get one yet but am going to figure out a cheaper fix . The demand for fuel is minimum 45psi , can probably get away with most external fuel pumps from a fuel Injection from 90's. When i get it home i might try a JB weld/solvent resistant silicone,hose clamp repair....

Thanks for the advice , might even take some pictures tomorrow , for the hell of it!

i had my axle nut back off on the front right going down sylvan hill at 60.  took about half a mile to get across the 3 lanes to the shoulder.  the axle was free spinning since it had popped out of the hub, but my wheel didn't come off, no idea why.  after towing it home I found the axle nut and washers in the hubcap.

i have another one now, but its hard to sell a car that basically saved my life for no understandable reason.  

i had my axle nut back off on the front right going down sylvan hill at 60.  took about half a mile to get across the 3 lanes to the shoulder.  the axle was free spinning since it had popped out of the hub, but my wheel didn't come off, no idea why.  after towing it home I found the axle nut and washers in the hubcap.

i have another one now, but its hard to sell a car that basically saved my life for no understandable reason.  

your caliper kept it  the wheel from coming off. itll need replaced, as well as that rotor....ask me how i know

your caliper kept it  the wheel from coming off. itll need replaced, as well as that rotor....ask me how i know

I drove mine 10 miles home with nothing but the caliper brackey holding the works together, with some 45 deg camber on the wheel. The rotor lost an inch in diameter, and wore the caliper bracket down to the slide pin.

It is still functional

Well I have replaced the back brakes.

Installed the new spring kit and shoes on the backing plate. The splines on the axle needed some attention , cleaned them up with a file.

Could not get the drum to fit around the new shoes, then realize the adjuster had been welded . So there goes the automatic adjustment .

Took it apart ground off the welds got the parts moving freely . Then I added and cleaned up little notches in the two pieces that ratchet together to adjust up your brakes. This allowed clearance for the shoes inside the drum, still a tight fit! 

I did end up having to file down a ridge off the cone washer . The Convex washer is marked out  . That extra washer I had seemed to be just that ....from what i can tell it did not belong.

It did eventually fit together , and seems to be working properly .

Next is the front rotors and pads. Hopefully less spoob welded together where its not supposed to be. 

I drove mine 10 miles home with nothing but the caliper brackey holding the works together, with some 45 deg camber on the wheel. The rotor lost an inch in diameter, and wore the caliper bracket down to the slide pin.

It is still functional

i had a rear WB fail at 70+ on my lifted rig, i destroyed my caliper beyond safety, melted the trailing arm and wrecked the rotor. I guess your results may vary