Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

rear view mirrors

power side mirrors

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sierraSubie

sierraSubie

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • pollock pines

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:34 PM

Because of plugging and un-plugging my cigarette lighter often because of having to charge my smart phone, it came apart behind the dash and shorted out. This caused the lighter and also the power side mirrors to short out because they are on the same fuse. I opened up the dash and fixed the lighter, and replaced the fuse. That fixed the problem with the lighter but now the power side mirrors won't work. Does anyone know why?

Is their a second fuse for the side mirrors or do you suspect that I fried a wire. going from the (lighter/side mirror) fuse to the switch. The switch control were working perfectly before this happened so I suspect that the switch is fine. 

Any suggestions how to test power to the switch. I am not much of an electrician, so please keep it simple if possible.

1997 Legacy Outback 2.5

thanks

Edited by sierraSubie, 12 March 2014 - 02:38 PM.

#2 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 9,082 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:17 PM

The only thing they share in common is the fuse.
If the fuse blows because of the lighter socket the mirrors are unaffected. All the excess amperage was going to the lighter socket which caused the fuse to blow.

If the fuse blows because the wiring to the socket crossed with wiring to another circuit such as the radio or blower motor, then you have a chance of back feeding to the mirror circuit and damaging something.

So did it short because the socket physically broke? Or because the wiring chafed and shorted to another wire?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users