Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mod for ea82t without dogging it to death

I'm building an ea82t mainly because I already have one for parts an 2 drivable, nothing wrong with the ej series swaps but location what tools you have an money all play a huge part in doing an ej also I like the dual range, there's huge advantages to its use. Trust me I've brutally tested how well my brat can go places, Idaho is unforgiving at times. Comments questions anyone????

I'm building a couple ea82t's at the moment, I consider it gambling money.. lol. But it will be fun. You can do a cam grind if you want more power up top, but it can take from the low end power some. I assume you found delta cams?

Good luck with your build, let us know if you have any specific questions.

An intercooler with good airflow and a water/methanol injection system would be the critical first steps to modding in my opinion. Before making any changes though, you need to make sure the cooling system is in top shape.

BTW, the point of the adapter plates and redrilled flywheels is to make a d/r 5spd go behind an EJ engine.

WoodsWagon is speaking gospel. These motors do not like overheating, at all. With your budget, I would still consider a used intercooler and DIY hood scoop. Expect to pop head gaskets.

Just for perspective too, I'm fully blueprinting and building out 2 ea82t motors right now. My focus first is keeping the head gaskets from popping and keeping everything cool (oil, coolant, intake), because any money elsewhere first is a waste imho. Cam regrind is so far down the list, its practically not even on the list yet..

But that said, I fully support delta cams.. they provide a great service and you won't regret it if you are looking for more power up top. We ran them in stage rally in a 2.5RS, it held power for much longer in the higher revs. We took 7th OA rally idaho 2010, if you want confirmation hehe. It was based out of mountain home (near you?), the mayor got hammered for the awards banquet.. good times.

Ever been to featherville idaho? Some excellent dirt roads up there.

That's all very true an with this build I'm only looking to spend 590 in total even with delta cams

If you have a self service yard near you a EJ swap can run less than that and be more reliable.

150 for engine,17 for wiring harness,10 for computer,10 for fuel pump,30 for radiator,then build your own adapter plate...

I have ejed rigs for less than 500 even after replacing the engine a few times.

Edited by Uberoo