Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 rear strut retrofits

MilesFox

Is it possible that 00 and up legacy and 05 and up impreza shock style rear strut will retrofit into an ea82 with ea82 top mount and coilover springs?

I speculate this could work, but have no parts to mock up. Has anyone done this?

I would like to know that late model struts will retrofit, and if there is a kyb agx II strut for the application.

I've often thought about the Gen3/4 rear strut/shock fitting into the rear of the L series - I'm sure it could work, but the double rubber setup on the L series shock could be an issue.

I reckon the load rating on that spring and strut/shock would be higher with the heavier body of the Gen3/4.  Just need to find a set of second hand units to have a play with...

Cheers

Bennie

I test-fitted it once. It's close, but not great. WJM actually ran them years ago. Then I tried some Miata ones that were closer, but still were not designed for the bushing in the upper mount. WJM and I had the same idea, and same result. Remove the bushing......and broken shock rods.

Then I found a later model Miata which did have a bushing in the upper mount, and fit in place of the EA82 rears almost perfectly.

All of these options use different diameter springs than EA82s, so you'll have to get creative with spring perches, or use coilover sleeves (what I did...)