Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Prepping windshield channel?

Among the numerous things I am fixing on the Brat, one of them is the windshield gasket.  It leaks, at every corner.

Just got the windshield out, and there is old adhesive in certain spots and some rust in spots.

Does a new rubber gasket require any silicone/adhesive to be used at all?  And is my best bet to wire brush the rust away, and hit it with some of the rust-to-primer stuff before putting the windshield back in?

Maybe you could do a write-up on this? I've seen it done several times (I think I've busted the front glass on almost every car I've owned) and fairly confident in my ability to do it, but would like to make sure I'm getting all the steps correct. I need to replace the front glass in my wagon. Well, don't NEED to, but I do have a small crack in it and a replacement for it sitting in my shed.

Actually, there is a sealant that is used with these gaskets. It is not a silicone. It is a non hardening, very tacky substance similar to butyl tape but much more pliable. Ask a windshield shop and they'll know the name. It escapes me at the moment. You need to use this if you don't want leaks and you can still remove it if necessary. Somewhere her, there is a brief write up I did in another post when someone was asking what to use and how to install, but I don't have time to look right now. :) You'll need to prime and paint any rust spots prior to install or they'll just get worse and end up leaking.

Actually, there is a sealant that is used with these gaskets. It is not a silicone. It is a non hardening, very tacky substance similar to butyl tape but much more pliable. Ask a windshield shop and they'll know the name. It escapes me at the moment. You need to use this if you don't want leaks and you can still remove it if necessary. Somewhere her, there is a brief write up I did in another post when someone was asking what to use and how to install, but I don't have time to look right now. :) You'll need to prime and paint any rust spots prior to install or they'll just get worse and end up leaking.

I have been told by multiple people that I trust that these gaskets are meant to be used with no sealant, glue, or goop of any kind. then you post this. So I check with a gen 2 Factory service manual. Why did I not do that before? dunno. It says to use starseal U-70 sealant, accompanied by this diagram for where you want it. I apologize for posting wrong info, and thanks for the coorection, I'll edit my prior post to remove wrong info. for the record, I did a gen 1 windsheild without sealant also based on the wrong info, It worked okay.

bf541bf1-fc81-4fac-8fdf-bc03894ed740_zps5db951c4.jpg