Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lifters will not come out of ea82 head!

EA82 head. I cannot not get two lifters out of the head. Tried compressed air, and that didn't work. Have tried everything to get these out without damaging them. They will wiggle, spin, but won't come up and out. Any ideas? Don't want to damage them, or the head.

Well, no luck. Got everything plugged best i could, and cranked up the air. Still with no luck. I had got the other two out with half the pressure, and they shot put like bullets!  I don't want to damage them. I really don't want to have to take to a machine shop just to get the lifters removed, yet don't want to mess up the lifters, or the head.

• 2 weeks later...

Use the hammer to remove the upper piston.  The a file to cut a gouge into the inside edge of the upper lip.  Then using a screwdriver, apply torque to the remaining base to break the bond to the head.  You have already written off the head so you have nothing to lose.

If the body of the HLA is spinning, not just the cap/nipple.. there must be gunk/corrosion in the oiling groove holding it in. Just grab on to the body of the hla with some meaty vice grips and yank it out with force. The HLA or the sleeve will come out with force, hopefully the HLA first.

I would be going medieval on that #%@$^ before writing the head off.

When compressed air doesn't work for me, I put the head on its side, grab the lifter by the shoulder( the solid part riight next to the bucket, you won't mar the metal there) with a big pair of vise grips. I grip them so the pliers are flat to the top of the head and hanging off as far as possible. Once I get a good grip(needs to be really solid), I hit the vise grips with a hammer to break the lifter loose. Usually I just keep tapping on it till it comes completely out. Works everytime and I've never destroyed one.

Josh

• Like 2

And they are out!!  Thank you all for the ideas!  I heated the head up with a heat gun, used duster with the can turned upside down to freeze the lifter, and griped it with vicegrips, and gave them a few good whacks with the hammer and the finally came out! No damage to lifters, and no damage to the head! Woohoo

• Like 1