Ultimate Subaru Message Board

carage from carnagie

ferp420

i went to carnagie last weekend i was planing on going to holister but the 4x4 park was closed so plan B carnagie it a very small park and i got board and pushed alittle harder than normal for entertainment

damage report

tore off my skid plate

bent atleast 1 rim lost air

put a hole in my side wall front driverside tire

front right strut/spring colapsed no dapening riding on bump stops

driver side strut/spring almost as bad

rear struts/springs are shot

gas gage reading 1/4 tank for 80 miles and never budged

i kised the rear diff on a rock no damage but its now sitting alittle sideways

and pulled the exaust apart no real damage just reconected it

and the cluch is slipping over 3k real fun trying to get over the coastal mountain pass with no cluch but it made it

• 2 weeks later...

did you know you could save bla bla bla in 15 min

everybody knows that

but did you know you can ------------------

Let the car stall rather than ride the clutch,just give it more throttle if you think it will stall and it might save it.

sounds like a insurance commercial

did you know you could save bla bla bla in 15 min

everybody knows that

but did you know you can ------------------

sounds like a insurance commercial

We can see now that you don't like to listen to good advice............keep on fryin them clutches buddy.

i never sead it wasent good advice it surely is i figured that out over 20 years ago and figured everyone else figures this on there first or second off road trip i just thought it was commin knowledge  like not wraping your thumbs around the steering wheel and keeping a loose grip while wheeling so u dont break your thumbs or wrists  i dident realize these kids hadent figured it out or are just figureing it out  kids today think they invented the stuff   but  anyway on underpowered undergeared rigs some times you have to slip the clutch its just another tool to use when wheelin its a good way to keep the rpms up and keep the motor in the sweet spot in high traction situations think 2stroke dirt bike on a hill climb these motors do have alot of torque off idle and can idle through alot but its still limited the clutch on my car is old and needed to be replaced when i put it in its a ware item like breaks if you have the car long enuff your gona have to change them   i should have used the new clutch when i swaped the motor in but i dident feel llike it and  it lasted over a year and 4 wheelin trips not to bad  and i could put it in now  but its in my back up 94 loyale now and i dont want to mess with that rig right now ill just get a new one and besides clutches are cheap and easy to install  and  i ant  trippin on it the worst part of it all is i have to drive the outback till i can get the new clutch in no biggie

Assuming your charging system works its alot better to just let subarus stall out,because once you get in the habit of slipping the clutch to help it over things you can destroy a clutch in a weekend or even a day depending on the run. I once went to a offroad event that was 3 days of mud,rocks,trees and any thing else you can think of.As a typical noob I slipped the clutch up a 1/2 mile rock garden the first night,got out of the woods and my car REEKED of clutch.The next morning the clutch let go in a mud hole.Nothing sucks more than watching everyone else go wheeling because your rig is down because you didn't want to stall it.

and as far as what I said sounding like an insurance commercial tell me one insurance company they recommends MOAR throttle?When in doubt HAMMER out! :)

Edited by Uberoo

Assuming your charging system works its alot better to just let subarus stall out,because once you get in the habit of slipping the clutch to help it over things you can destroy a clutch in a weekend or even a day depending on the run. I once went to a offroad event that was 3 days of mud,rocks,trees and any thing else you can think of.As a typical noob I slipped the clutch up a 1/2 mile rock garden the first night,got out of the woods and my car REEKED of clutch.The next morning the clutch let go in a mud hole.Nothing sucks more than watching everyone else go wheeling because your rig is down because you didn't want to stall it.

and as far as what I said sounding like an insurance commercial tell me one insurance company they recommends MOAR throttle?When in doubt HAMMER out! :)

its not what you sead its how my mind herd it maybe i just herd that commercial before i read your post  but like a tree falling in the woods kinda thing you know

i also had blown a clutch  on a long weekend of wheelin but i can fix it anywhere any"day"time so again its not a big deal i just changed out the disk about 45 min no biggie but that was a extreme situation i had the front end of my 2wd ranger prerunner nose down in to a tree the 4x4s i was with couldent get to me to pull me out i just hammered on it til the clutch expoded but like i sead 45 min no watching other poelpe wheel but still slipping the clutch is reserved for extreme situation and not a habit to get in to however if it comes down to i just need alittle more power to make this hill climb then ya alittle slippage isent going to hurt it will raise the rpms just enuff to finnish the hill where if you stall its back to the bottom and try again and again and backing down isent always easy

im not dissagreeing with you at all im just saying from experience theres a time and a place to slip the clutch and yes they do ware out bummer change it wheel on