Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Axle Thread Pitch - Anyone?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rdweninger

rdweninger

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • Tillamook, OR

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:55 PM

Anyone know the thread pitch of the end of the front axle.  You know, where the 36mm spindle nut threads on?    I had to beat mine out with some Oregon white oak.  The axle end kind of mushroomed a bit.

I need a die to chase the threads.    It would be like maybe M24 x 1.5

#2 Subruise

Subruise

Official Party Pooper

• Members
  • 1,470 posts
  • pierce county

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:08 PM

not sure on threadpitch but ive filed the ends down and chased threads with a triangle file on those with some success. i have to think a die that large would be expensive

#3 rdweninger

rdweninger

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • Tillamook, OR

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:53 PM

Subruise, I found one on ebay for $10.   Although, still not positive on the exact size.   And whether or not my current die handles (tool) will hold that big a die.

Only one machinist out here in Tillamook... and he is semi-retired with a huge backlog of work.

Maybe Shawn will chime in.  He has an axle shop near him ???

#4 Tat2Brat

Tat2Brat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Tacoma WA

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:26 PM

Fine thread pitch thats 1.25 isn't it or is it 1.5

but it is fine thread for sure

Edited by Tat2Brat, 17 March 2014 - 09:07 PM.

#5 wagonist

wagonist

User Awaiting Email Confirmation

• Members
  • 454 posts
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:26 PM

Get a spare axle nut, cut 4 grooves across the thread a few millimetres wide, use a file to shape down the end of axle so the nut can start, then use the nut to recut the thread.

Next time, leave the nut on there (with the washers removed) when you've got to beat it out...

#6 Dee2

Dee2

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 254 posts
  • US

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:08 PM

Just take the nut into NAPA, they'll measure the threads and find the die to fit.  I don't think a die will be that expensive.

Edited by Dee2, 17 March 2014 - 11:09 PM.

#7 rdweninger

rdweninger

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • Tillamook, OR

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:36 PM

Thanks everyone.  My machinist came out of semi-retirement.  The axle nut is 24mm x 1.5

He had the die, so we chased the threads.  The nut fits.

I did think that the white oak dowel would not mushroom the axle, but I was slightly wrong.

Next time, I will make sure the spin the nut on backwards and then pound with wooden dowel.

Sure wish I could find my puller set.  But most times, they come apart easily.   Should have it all back together this weekend.

#8 Subruise

Subruise

Official Party Pooper

• Members
  • 1,470 posts
  • pierce county

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:40 PM

i usually put my flywheel punch in the hole on the end of the axle, then i beat the crap out of that and i quit ruining my axles.....in that way lol

#9 81EA81

81EA81

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 382 posts
  • Spokane,WA

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:52 PM

i usually put my flywheel punch in the hole on the end of the axle, then i beat the crap out of that and i quit ruining my axles.....in that way lol

Yes, Try this! ^ I use the same punch I use for the roll pins. 3/16" 

Edited by 81EA81, 18 March 2014 - 01:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users