Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Will water get into the cabin during hard rain if the hood is up?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SmashedGlass

SmashedGlass

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • From CO, stuck in FL

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:05 AM

I just finished re-doing my carpet after it got damp last fall from over-zealous use of a pressure washer on the firewall. 

It rained very hard all day yesterday. Went out this morning to fiddle with the car and......the passenger footwell carpet is 

SOAKED. I did leave the hood open, could the rain have come in through the cowl because it was left open?

:angry:

'88 GL D/R wagon

#2 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,011 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:10 AM

Shouldn't cause that.

I know it is helpful to turn off the HVAC system before shutting off the car.  That will close the flapper for fresh air inlet.  I do that at my house to keep mice out.

Not sure if that will keep water out though.

#3 mudduck

mudduck

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 703 posts
  • Asheboro NC

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:50 AM

If its like my 89 it will. But I removed all the A/C plumbing and have two holes left over on the pass. side fire wall.

#4 SmashedGlass

SmashedGlass

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • From CO, stuck in FL

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:00 AM

After tearing everything out again (fastest interior strip ever), it seems that the water was coming out of the join line between

the heater blower, and the a/c evaporator core.....so I think the rain was hard enough to come in through the fresh air inlet????

But the HVAC system was set to off, and both sides vents were set to a/c months ago, so still a mystery.....

Not coming in through the a/c line grommets, underneath the rubber cover (beneath the carpet passenger well) was dry, wet

was on top of the rubber.

Edited by SmashedGlass, 18 March 2014 - 11:03 AM.

#5 scoobiedubie

scoobiedubie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 455 posts
  • Aloha, Oregon

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:30 PM

Water will get into the cabin, by dripping through the joints in the plastic molding surrounding the wiper drive axles, and then directly through the cabin intake air vents below that joint. Japanese engineering at it's best.

#6 SmashedGlass

SmashedGlass

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • From CO, stuck in FL

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:37 AM

Think I figured it. There was a very small machine screw (from where or what I do not know) that somehow ended up sitting on the cowl and miraculously wedged itself perfectly to fill the drain hole in the passenger side cowl drain hole. So perfectly, that it looked like it was supposed to be screwed in there. Debris had built up around it creating a perfect seal. When it rained, it rained buckets, and probably backed up and overflowed out of the depression there and straight down into the passenger fresh air intake.

Of course, I had already started to remove my plastic cowl parts by this time to make sure it wasn't an internal problem and, since the numb nuts who installed my replacement windshield managed to get it glued in a few spots with windshield adhesive, a couple of the molded on clips broke off...... So now I'm patiently (ha) waiting for new cowl parts to arrive in the mail. On the bright side, at least the inside of the cowl area is now very clean.

**ScoobieDubie, just about every car uses a similar two-part cowl setup. So I wouldn't blame Japanese engineering. I actually have heard more complaints about GM vehicles of the last 15 years or so having issues with leaking into the passenger compartment.

Edited by SmashedGlass, 19 March 2014 - 08:39 AM.

#7 scoobiedubie

scoobiedubie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 455 posts
  • Aloha, Oregon

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:45 AM

The lapse in good engineering, had to do with how close the joint between the two pieces was to the vent opening. It was two close so I used some black gasket maker to seal that joint.

#8 SmashedGlass

SmashedGlass

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • From CO, stuck in FL

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:02 AM

I see your point; I was thinking of using something similar myself as the foam/rubber seal strips along the top and side edges pretty much turned to powder and fell off while removing the cowls.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users