Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can't get license plate off! Screw turns forever :(

So I need to replace the rear license plate on my 1995 Subaru Legacy Sedan. When I go to turn the two bottom screws the just turn forever without moving out. I figured out that the plastic backing that the screws go into is not connected or not catching onto the inside of the car (in the trunk). 

I tried cutting them off, forcing them to pull out (rocked the whole car but they didn't move), and pulling while unscrewing. I can't get them off.

I was thinking that if I could be inside the trunk and hold the plastic backing that I could turn the screw, but I can't seem to get inside. There are holes inside the trunk where I can see behind the plate where the plastic backing is, but I can't reach them and as far as I can tell I can't take anything off to get to them. 

Any ideas??

hi,

i am not certain they are just like the earlier loyale cars, but i think probably.   if that is the case the little plastic inserts that the screws go into, are actually mounted in the plastic bumper cover.  i had to take the bumper off and that gives access to the screw holders, which are not like normal snap in's , subaru specific parts here,  anyway a pain for sure but that's where i think you need to look for the access to replace them.

Put a screwdriver behind the screw and put pressure on it as you unscrew it with another. Alternatively you can use a grip pliers to turn it as you pull on it.

As a last resort you can cut it off with a hacksaw or cut off wheel.

O.

Yeah the old plastic inserts get rounded out if the screws have been in them for a long time and get rusted.

You can get to them from inside, but not easily. You need a long set of needle hose pliers and kinda have to go from the side. There are two openings inside in the trunk lid on either side of the license plate.

If you sit IN the trunk, (with your legs hanging out) pull the lid down, and look into the openings you can see where the inserts are. Reach on there with the pliers and grab the plastic insert and twist it some until it breaks. Or if you have some needle nose vice grips you can grab them to hold them still while you turn the screws.

You can buy new inserts and screws at most auto parts stores.

• Like 1