Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi guys, I just got a new car!! I now have a 96 Legacy Outback, It is a 2.2, five speed. I have been searching for a while to find an acceptable example and have made a few posts here looking for info and I finally found one. It has heated seats, side mirrors and a block heater. The AC works and the car as a whole is in wonderful shape. It will be getting a timing belt before I start driving it daily and the rear shocks are making a noise I have never heard before. Other than that, the car is a dream for 1400 bucks. It does have 255k on the tach though, that and the aftermarket sunroof are the cars biggest problems, but both problems I am willing to deal with for the price. It feels great, feels like a car with half the miles. My plans for the car are a daily driver that does fairly lite autocross duty. I am not going for championships or anything but I am an avid driver. The first thing I would like to inquire you SubaGuru's about is suspension. The car needs shocks anyway, I would like to do an upgrade if possible. I have read that 02-07 WRX parts bolt directly in with the possibility of slight rear end sag, is this true? Also, I have a few different weighted springs laying around along with some adjustable collars. I am considering buying shocks and just putting my own springs and collars on and going! Before I do that though I would like to know stock spring rates, and maybe hear a few suggestions of what harder spring rates might be good for double duty. Anyway, I am very excited to get this thing on the road, my first and only car until now (I'm 22) has been an 87 Honda Prelude so this is a big departure for me. I appreciate any knowledge you guys can lend me!  

Edited by Blair

The Outback is a "raised" version of the Legacy, so I don't think low suspension parts from a WRX will fit an Outback.

I have had excellent results using KYB struts. A little firmer then OEM, as they are gas filled, are relatively inexpensive, and last a long time.

Your car looks great. It is the same color as my 99 OBW. The combo of a 2.2 motor with a 5 speed is a winner. Have fun with your new wheels. Post questions here on this forum. Lots of good people are here, and willing to give you their best advise.

• Like 1

Congrats on the new ride! (and your new obsession! muah-ha-ha!) ;)

I second the KYB struts - excellent value for the money.

Spring rates - have no idea, maybe someone else can help you with that.

255K on a 2.2 isnt that bad - as long as you take care of it & keep the fluids full, it will keep on going. :)

• Like 1

Thanks guys!! It is already an obsession! I am scouring Craigslist like a mad man looking at potentially better parts! When looking for the car I had planned on swapping in the 2.5 for power, but I must say I am impressed with the 2.2 output! My dad owns a shop in Cary NC, so we will be taking good care of her. Also, still on suspension, any autocrossers here? When I set up my Prelude I hardened the back end a bit more than the front, to help with push. I assume these will do the same, based on weight, engine position and the front wheels doing some of the driving. 

keep the 2.2 - for several reasons...

the non-interference 2.2 is one of the most durable engines Subaru ever produced

96 is the last year for non-interference 2.2 engines - no major issues if you pop a timing belt (2.5 are all interference)

the 2.5 is prone to headgasket problems - you dont want to go there...

• Like 1

I assume these will do the same, based on weight, engine position and the front wheels doing some of the driving.

Actually the front wheels do almost all of the driving. I think I read somewhere its like 90% front wheels, 10% rear wheels. So that should impact how you want to set up the suspension for autocross.

Well I think I probably will, like I said I am impressed with it. At this point I would only do a 2.5 if I did an STI swap. A daunting task I am not willing to play with.

If, at some point, you want to install a motor with more horse power, then consider building a "frankenmotor." Lots written on doing this. Just search this forum, using the word "frankenmotor" in the search box. This would not be an expensive daunting task, and would be an easy plug and play bolt in. Its mostly changing heads to increase compression ratio for more horse power.

Hmm, that will, that makes it much like a front wheel drive, which is what I am used to. I am reading around and I think my first step will be putting Legacy GT struts on with my stock Outback springs. Next step will be stock WRX springs maybe? Or STI springs? If I decide I want a power upgrade a frankenmotor would be interesting. I have read a little about head swaps and converting to a twin cam and all that. I am not ready to mount that stack of reading yet haha, thank you for the suggestion, that is something I have been thinking over. For right now I am focusing on suspension though as the car needs shocks anyway. What do we think of the Legacy GT bits and later using stock WRX/STI springs?

Hmm, that will, that makes it much like a front wheel drive, which is what I am used to. I am reading around and I think my first step will be putting Legacy GT struts on with my stock Outback springs. Next step will be stock WRX springs maybe? Or STI springs? If I decide I want a power upgrade a frankenmotor would be interesting. I have read a little about head swaps and converting to a twin cam and all that. I am not ready to mount that stack of reading yet haha, thank you for the suggestion, that is something I have been thinking over. For right now I am focusing on suspension though as the car needs shocks anyway. What do we think of the Legacy GT bits and later using stock WRX/STI springs?

My only experience is swapping in KYB struts. I have no knowledge regarding swapping in parts from other Subarus. Others here may chime in to answer you. Better yet, start a new topic on this forum asking about suspension upgrades, and swap in suspensions from other Subarus. That will give you a wider reader response, and better chance for advise.