Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Whining noise in all gears in 1994 Loyale

Hello everyone. We decided to buy another car rather than fixing our super fun super beat up bush car. It's a 1994 red Loyale 4wd wagon. Runs really well and doesn't seem to have the annoying valve noise either.

However driving it home last night it makes a whining noise in all the gears and I'm concerned about this. Appreciate any thoughts/advice on what it might be. Also the front axles have been replaced within the last year or so.

I filled it with the proper fluid and it didn't seem to make a difference. The car only makes the whining sound when accelerating, if I back off the gas it disappears. Does this sound like something that needs immediate attention or can it be driven as if. I still have the same car for parts and before I ruined the clutch it didn't make any noise while driving as this one is.

It makes a bit of noise in neutral and the noise goes away when you press in the clutch. I would say its a whir more than a rumble. It doesn't make a difference turning right or left. Only when giving the car gas and its the same in all 5 speeds. Makes no difference in 4wd or 2wd. We really like this car and hoping it doesn't need a transmission.

Could just be the throw out bearing (whirls but only when the clutch is not pressed in), how old is your clutch?

I ask because if is just a TO bearing, you might be able to delay replacing it until your next clutch job. It may get louder.. it may not. Worst case it could lock up and prevent the shift fork from being able to disengage the clutch. But it shouldn't really cause more damage.

So my advice would be, drive it until it gets worse! Good luck, hopefully she doesn't leave you stranded anywhere.

ps- I am not a certified mechanic, I just had a weird feeling it could just be a noisy TO bearing..

Edited by Ibreakstuff
  • Like 1